Preparing for the worst

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/26/13 4:03 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned...

VSG is safe, I've done all my homework and I have tons of confidence in my surgeon, the hospital, and all of that. However, there's a risk to every surgery, even a small one, and I'm fully aware that there's a possibility-- however minute-- that I might not make it out of the OR. It's a freaky thought, but I deal with that sort of thing by planning like mad.

However, since I'm only 30, no kids, we don't own a house, no investments or anything, I don't have a will, power of attorney, or anything formal like that beyond an "organ donor" sticker on my driver's license. I'm planning to ease my mind by putting some stuff in an envelope and leaving it on top of the fridge or something. If they need it, they'll find it, and if not, I can shred it when I get home.

I've got...

• Husband as medical proxy, and it's OK to let me go if I'm too far gone
  • No memorial, no mention of god (I'm an atheist), if people want to donate then go to your local animal shelter
  • Organ donor + cremation
  • Name and phone number for my office's HR lady who would know how to handle life insurance
  • List to my online password vault so someone can shut down accounts
  • Sealed note, short and sweet, to husband and immediate family members (ie, "I love you, thank you, you are awesome")

Any other suggestions for things that I might be missing? Thanks... and sorry to bring up such a morbid topic. 

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MsBatt
on 11/26/13 4:43 am

Honestly, I was dying when I had my WLS. I didn't do ANY sort of 'what if' planning---until the day before, when my mom was driving me to the hospital, 2.5 hours away. At that point, I brought myself to say  "If something should go wrong, you WILL take care of Sydney, right???" (Sydney was my furbaby at the time.)

Mom snorted through her nose and said "I'm not taking care of anybody. Get well."

So I did. (*grin*)

kathkeb
on 11/26/13 4:53 am, edited 11/26/13 4:54 am

Surgery or not, this type of info is always good to share with a spouse or other trusted loved one.

I have worked for the same company for 25 years but work remotely ..and always make sure my husband has HR info, current managers info, passwords, logins, etc.

we never know when we might be injured or incapacitated.

I wish you a smooth surgery and quick recovery!!!

Kath

themexcellentone
on 11/26/13 2:14 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Both my husband and I had medical power of attorney and living will paperwork drawn up before we each had our respective surgeries.  The hospital we had our surgeries at requested that paperwork at registration, so we took care of it before then. 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Valerie G.
on 11/27/13 12:43 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I  never could muster the letters to loved ones...but I think you're on the right track and I cannot think of anything else.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

JenniPenny
on 11/27/13 4:37 am - MN

I think you've covered it all and it's great to bring it up - happy topic or not. Many only think of it when someone else starts the conversation, I recently heard that after someone dies, the worst thing is recovering all their passwords, shutting down accounts when some keep passwords in their heads or hidden. I'm sure you'll be fine, but it's nice to know you've covered things for your family. Very thoughtful. Good luck on your upcoming surgery - I bet you have to shred it and will live a long and healthy life post op.

Jen 12 yrs post op RNy

Most Active