Post-Op Concerns

ycham87
on 12/22/13 3:13 pm
Hey all! I'm a 27 year old woman who is looking to have gastric bypass surgery within the next three months. I have major concerns about excess skin (I stand to lose about 150 lbs). Can you share your experience with me? What helps to prevent it? How expensive are the post-op surgeries such as a tummy tuck and arm skin removal? Thank you in advance for your help!':-)
Member Services
on 12/23/13 12:08 am - Irvine, CA

Hi ycham87,

Congratulations on taking control of your life and your upcoming WLS.  Most members will tell you one step at a time and to get the surgery, get to goal and then stay there for at least a year before thinking about PS. Most surgeons will want to see you are at a stable weight before doing the surgery.  For more input check out this forum...

Plastic Surgery Forum

Happy Holidays,

Member Services

MsBatt
on 12/23/13 12:59 am

As young as you are, you *may* not have enough excess skin to worry about.

Also, as young as you are, I want you to think VERY seriously about the decision to have any form of WLS. This is a lifetime commitment, and you have a very long life ahead of you.

I'm NOT saying this to discourage you---I'd give anything if I could go back in time and have my DS when I was 27. I am also very glad I didn't have an RNY/gastric bypass when I was 27.

The RNY has been a very successful surgery for many, many people, but there are some things about living with a pouch and stoma that...well, *I* could be very unhappy about.

I urge you to also research two other procedures: the VSG/Sleeve and the DS/duodenal switch. Both provide life-long restriction in the amount you can eat by permanently reducing the size of the stomach, but preserving the pylorus, the stomach's natural emptying port. The excess stomach tissue, including the part that produces most of the body's 'hunger hormone', ghrelin, is completely removed from the body, never to trouble you again.. This causes some metabolic changes that make it easier for you to stick to a diet. The Sleeve appears to have roughly the same long-term results as the RNY/gastric bypass.

The DS also has an intestinal bypass, similar to that of the RNY. Both the RNY and the DS will cause you to forever malabsorb certain vitamins and minerals. However, the DS will also cause you to forever malabsorb a significant per centage of the calories you eat---about 50% of protein, 40% of complex carbs, and 80% of fats. The caloric malabsorption of the RNY is minor, and only lasts for about 18-24 months.

The DS has the best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats of all the forms of WLS. It also has the best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol. And like the Sleeve, the DS will allow you to take NSAIDs (all the OTC pain relievers other than Tylenol). Think about what you take for cramps, headache, fever, aches and pains, etc.

And---the DS, because of the malabsorption of calories, has the most liberal post-op eating plan. Most DSers eat 2500-3000 or more tasty calories every day. (*grin*) I'm ten years post-op from my DS, and I'm maintaining a loss of 170 pounds with pretty much no effort on my part.

I'm not saying that you should have the DS---only you can decide which procedure is right for you. But this is something that you're going to have to live with for a very long time, so research ALL your options and choose wisely. You need to visit the Revision board and see what happens when someone chooses the wrong procedure for their body.

Good luck to you, and I'll gladly answer any questions I can.

Eggface
on 12/23/13 8:01 am - Sunny Southern, CA

The need for plastics post weight loss varies from person to person. Exercise can help but really any time you have 100+ pounds to lose you are going to have some skin issues. Age, genetics, whether your skin is damaged/stretch marks, how long you have been overweight, etc play a factor. what I tell people is plan for the worst case scenario LOL get one of these and if you are OK physically and/or emotionally with what is left after losing weight you can go on a trip with your savings.

Prices of plastics procedures vary too. Location, degree of difficulty, you can get a range but each person will be different. OH has a plastic surgery forum.

Hope you are one of the lucky ones. I was not: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/10/not-o k-but-will-be.html

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Valerie G.
on 12/23/13 10:25 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I lost 145 lbs and never got plastics.  There are no magical creams, lotions or exercises to treat or prevent the loose skin.  You just don't know what you get until you got it.  I can dress strategically enough, and with the help of some lycra undergarments, I feel like a million bucks.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

jls8288
on 12/23/13 1:05 pm, edited 12/23/13 1:05 pm

Hi!

I am 25 and just had VSG on December 9. My surgeon told me that because I'm young (and so are you  ) that it will be less likely that I will have significant amounts of excess skin. I stand to lose more then 200lbs, so I think the same would go for you ! 

Every body is different, so it's hard to estimate what you'll have until you're looking at it. I know that when I lost weight on my own when I was in my early twenties, that my arms were the first thing I noticed, lots of hang there, but it slowly gets better :) 

ycham87
on 12/23/13 5:18 pm
Thank you to everyone for your your responses. Keep em coming!! :-) How are you feeling jls8288? How's recovery been?
jls8288
on 12/23/13 10:55 pm

I'm feeling great! My recovery has been really easy so far. I was in the hospital for 2 nights on IV morphine, and went home on liquid pain medication. I only had to take it for 3 days, and then I was fine. I still have some pain at the largest of me 6 incisions, but that is where they pulled the excess stomach through so it's bruised. I haven't had any setbacks or complications. I warn you though when you transition from the liquid diet to the pureed diet make sure you eat VERY slowly. If you eat too fast it makes everything hurt lol. My doctor advised using a toddler spoon/fork at first to get used to the size bites I should take. At first I thought that was ridiculous, but after the first time I ate too fast, I switched to the smaller spoons and it helped a lot!! 

Also I learned this week that they aren't kidding about getting your water in lol. I had some trouble with constipation this week because when I transitioned to pureed food I started drinking less water. I took some stool softener and that helped. So lots of water, slow eating, small bites :) 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/24/13 5:09 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I had my surgery a week after my 31st birthday, and my doctor said I made a very good decision in having the surgery "relatively young." I've been overweight most of my life, but it's been especially bad over the past 7-8 years since I've been on medication for bipolar, which causes serious weight gain. Since I'm doing this now, I'm heading off the long-term effects of high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and the like, and will prevent a LOT of wear and tear on my joints.

As far as excess skin goes, I've been told that drinking as much water as possible is one of the only ways to help with that, otherwise it's mostly age and genetics. Since we need to stay super-hydrated after surgery anyway, hopefully that won't be a problem!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!