Bowel Bypass Syndrome

missnanajean
on 12/30/13 12:56 am - Friendswood, TX

Is anyone else suffering from this? Background: I had revision from Lapband to RNY 4 yrs ago . I have been good about labs and vitamins all levels good. I'm a nurse and 6 mo.s ago hospital changed gloves and my hands broke out used several steroid creams. My  fingers and hands swell the skin thickens and sloughs off in sheets. Fingernails look like I have a fungus yellow thick dry. Have been  to a dermatologist who just gives me more creams and says it's hand and nail eczema. I went for my 4 yr. checkup and was telling the PA my problem and.she said I may have Bowel Bypass Syndrome she had seen it once before. Happens after bowel bypass surgery 2-6 yrs post op to 20%  of the patients. Bacteria develops in blind pouch that sends antigens to skin and joints causing inflammatory response. Antibiotics can't get in to kill it.. You can have mailase and other symptoms. We have tried the treatment they suggested steroids and certain antibiotics. Right now I am on Prednisone 1 mg daily tapered from 3 mg but if I miss a day the cracking and skin gets worse. We have done all kinds of immunity testing all pretty normal. Articles say definitive test is a biopsy and only cure is reversal to remove blind pouch. I've lost 100 lbs and have been happy but this skin thing is affecting my life and career. Any information and experience and suggestions are appreciated. I have an appt with a GI Dr. in Jan.

Miss  Jean   
Kate -True Brit
on 12/30/13 1:56 am - UK

Neither experience nor suggestions! Just wanted to say - sounds horrid! Hope someone can shed some light. If the occurrence  is as high as 20%, there should be some people on here! But that does sound very high.

my best wishes to you.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Kate -True Brit
on 12/30/13 2:04 am - UK

Just to add, I am one of those people who looks everything up! So not having heard of this, I googled. As you say, the figure given in lots of articles is 20% - so I am sure someone on here will have experience! 

You might also try postng on the RNY board. 

Melanie L.
on 7/30/14 3:31 pm - Gadsden, Al

I have been diagnoised with this syndrome. Anyone who wants to talk to me I am on Facebook Melanie Loyd Gadsden Alabama or Email [email protected]

MsBatt
on 12/30/13 2:11 am

I think your PA is mistaken about how common this is. I seriously doubt 20% of RNY patients develop this. I've been reading this and other WLS boards for over ten years now, and you're the first RNY patient I've seen mention this.

I was pretty common with the old JIB procedure, but it's usually called blind loop syndrome. You might try Googling it under that name.

Kate -True Brit
on 12/30/13 3:14 am - UK
On December 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:

I think your PA is mistaken about how common this is. I seriously doubt 20% of RNY patients develop this. I've been reading this and other WLS boards for over ten years now, and you're the first RNY patient I've seen mention this.

I was pretty common with the old JIB procedure, but it's usually called blind loop syndrome. You might try Googling it under that name.

From a NZ site, simply because that was the first on google.  I am not up on bypass surgery. Is this different to the surgery now performed?

Bowel bypass syndrome   Bowel bypass syndrome is also known as bowel-associated dermatitis-arthritis syndrome and blind loop syndrome.   Bowel bypass syndrome is a relapsing condition characterised by rash and arthritis. It is most commonly associated with bowel shortening surgery, where a ‘blind loop’ of bowel is created. This kind of surgery was previously popular for the treatment of morbid obesity. Up to 20% of patients undergoing bowel bypass surgery develop bowel bypass syndrome.  

poet_kelly
on 12/30/13 2:45 am - OH

I've never heard of it.

As far as the treatment, I'm wondering if simply removing the blind stomach would resolve the problem without reversing the RNY.  So you'd have sort of a sleeve, but still the bypassed intestine.  Or even revising to VSG.  That way one would not have trouble keeping the weight off as you probably would if you just reversed the RNY.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/30/13 3:05 am

I developed skin issues and allergies since RNY. Fist - 2 years post op I got Seborrheic Dermatitis, then developed some type of allergies.. and recently end up with more allergies (not sure to what) and I break up in hives, itching like crazy... 

I think in my case it may be Candida - yeast and not bacteria issue. I took some Rx Candida pills (diflucan) and my symptoms improved..  I think leaky gut syndrome may be an issue with my allergies... 

I do plan to see a allergy doc to find out what I am allergic to and why... 

I am not on a very limited diet - just meat and fish with some veggies. Some almonds (they do not bother me much).  I do plan to see a doc on Thursday and I hope she can test allergies in me or send me to someone. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/30/13 3:23 am - OH

Just a clarification... when you say "blind pouch", are you referring to the remnant stomach (i have never heard the stomach referred to as a pouch) or are you intending to say the "blind intestine loop"? There is no blind pouch.

Why would antibiotics have to "get in" to the stomach or intestine to work (meaning why would normal oral or IV antibiotics not help)?  

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

mkvand
on 12/30/13 4:38 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

Maybe I'm missing something, but you said the symptoms started after your hospital changed gloves?  And they're confined to your hands?  How do they know you're not just allergic to something in the new gloves?  Can you get a box of the old style gloves to use instead and see if it helps?

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1207 views