I did it!

C M.
on 12/31/13 2:10 am

I had surgery on 12/19/2013! the first 7 days where very painful/stressful! Today 12 days post op I can say that I don't regret it anymore! In the beginning it was like a nightmare but I guess I just had to get my body used to it. I have lost a total of 16 lbs! I can notice a difference in my face and some clothes! Its a good feeling!  My question ism drinking through a straw and gum chewing....My surgeon never said anything about gum but did say to stop drinking with a straw. I've seen a ton of people drinking through a straw... Does it really matter? 

I know this is not a "Diet" its a lifestyle change!

But are you EVER able to eat just a little pasta or pizza? 

Mary Catherine
on 12/31/13 2:34 am

Some people take in too much air with a straw.  If it does not make you uncomfortable then it is fine to use one.  If accidently swallowed the gum can get lodged inside and require surgery to get it out.  Most surgeons don't want to do that procedure and tell you not to chew gum.

Kate -True Brit
on 12/31/13 3:23 am - UK

It depends on the individual and which type of surgery.  I don't use straws simply because  I never have done! Not because of my surgery. You have to be guided by your doctor and also by how it affects you personally.

i eat pizza and pasta. Not much! But I eat them sometimes, not so much pizza because I am not a major fan. Some banded people find both very difficult, I don't. 

I never chew gum but believe the reason why it should be avoided is, as the PP said, in case you swallow by mistake. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

C M.
on 12/31/13 4:29 am

I forgot to add ! I had VSG! 

Tracy D.
on 12/31/13 5:17 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hi there - and welcome to the loser's bench! :-)   I personally haven't eaten pasta and never will again because white carbs are a trigger food for me - I can't stop eating them and it triggers me to then eat sugar.  Besides, your tummy is so tiny you need to think of it as valuable real estate.  Every morsel of food that you put in needs to be of the highest quality and nutrition -- pasta doesn't cut it.  

Pizza was one of my faves pre-op.  I've tried it a couple times post-op (just the toppings, not the crust) and it totally wasn't worth it for me.  Any thing with a lot of tomato sauce in it or that's too greasy tends to cause an acidy stomach for me so I really don't crave it anymore.  

You'll be surprised about what you can and can't tolerate post-op!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15