What is right for me and do I qualify?

proudparent8809
on 12/31/13 11:41 am - Johnstown, PA

I am only 25 but have struggled with my weight ever since I hit puberty. I have tried everything to lose weight! I can only lose to 180 pounds and my body just can't seem to lose anymore and I get stuck there. I have severe asthma that requires two inhalers and a nebulizer daily sometimes I have to use them multiple times. I have high cholesterol that even with medication won't get lower it's now in the 400-500 range but was in the 800-900 range I lost a little over 60 pounds and then stalled like I always do. I have severe back problems in which I am prescribed narcotics for pain. I had a breast reduction this past May and had 4 1/2 pounds removed in total. I have GERD and am prescribed two different medications for that as well. I have a history of high blood pressure that at 19 I was prescribed medication to treat. I no longer have problems with that except after I had my second child. I suffer from PTSD, Bipolar II, GAD (Generalized anxiety disorder), Borderline Personality disorder, ADHD, and FAS (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome). While I struggle with this I tend to struggle with my weight the most because it seems no matter what I can't lose. I am currently 181 pounds and only 5 foot tall even. I have Gateway Medicare Assured and the Access Card as my two insurances. I need to know if I will qualify and if my insurance will cover as well as what surgery might be best for me. Thanks everyone for letting me share.

Member Services
on 1/1/14 12:59 am - Irvine, CA

The best way to find out if your insurance covers weight loss surgery is to contact them and ask.  If they do find out what procedures they cover and what steps they may require of you before they will approve the surgery.  We also suggest you research all your options for WLS and OH is the right place for that.  Once you have reviewed your options surgery wise and decided on one then your next step is to find a surgeon that takes your insurance.  

​​

Here are some links that will be helpful in your research.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-procedure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practice-2/http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/  

Let us know if you need anything else.  

Regards,

Member Services

Valerie G.
on 1/1/14 4:08 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Definitely give your insurance company a call tomorrow and ask them. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1376 views