Pre Surgery Oblivion

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/14 3:52 am

I have just started the 3 month enrollment period required by my insurance.  I am required to attend support groups for 3 months, record my weight, visit with nutritionist, phsycologist, and my surgeon before getting approval.  Then if I get approval, I start on a 4 week OptiFast diet.  I am totally obsessed with the process and trying to learn everything I can.  I am reading success stories, but also finding a lot of horror stories.  Unfortunately the horror stories are really doing a number on me.  I am determined to get the surgery regardless.  Can anyone out there share with me how you felt the period before the surgery and how you feel now?  I just need reassurance that I am going to be ok!  I have no comorbities yet, but am scared I am quickly headed down that path.  I am at my heaviest weight right now at 270.  I am heavier now than I was both times i was 9 months pregnant!

Cunning_Pam
on 1/1/14 4:19 am
RNY on 12/18/13

While the stories of people who've had complications may be a bit scary, keep something in mind: People who do well with the surgery and have NO problems are not likely to post a lot about their experiences here. It's the folks with problems who have a lot of questions to ask and things to relate, so you'll see relatively more from them. Most people do fine, and the odds are that you will too!

While I'm still one of those darned newbies, I *can* tell you that before my surgery I felt awful. I felt trapped in my body, unable to move without being out of breath, unable to exercise due to hip pain, taking medications for diabetes and high blood pressure, and anxious about the state of my health going forward. Since my surgery in December I've lost one tenth of my body weight, and I'm feeling much much better! I can walk for 30 or more minutes at a time on my treadmill, I can eat a small, protein-rich meal and feel totally satisfied, and I'm off the meds for diabetes (my blood sugars have not gone over 110 since the surgery) and tapering off the BP meds. Before surgery I was obsessed with food, thinking about it all the time, hungry all the time...now I have to remind myself to eat! I'm no longer anxious and fearful about the future, but instead looking forward to feeling better than I have in many years and doing things I've always wanted to do but haven't been able to because of my weight.

The surgery was no picnic, sure. But I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat based on how I'm doing now, and I'm confident, how I'll continue to progress.

Best wishes, and I hope you get the answers that help you feel better about this process!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

TexasTerritory
on 1/1/14 5:21 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Just wanted to share that my surgery and post-op were awesome. I have had no problems. Food is not an issue now. I eat according to the clock following my doctor's plan. My pre-op was a breeze as my approval occurred quickly. I do remember one day of unease at the anticipation of another surgery but it passed quickly. I am so glad to have followed through with my decision to have WLS. Wishing you the best.

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/14 5:26 am

Thanks for the encouraging words! I was skeptical about posting at first but I can already see the value in having this community!

moonandstarzz
on 1/1/14 6:06 am - Decatur, AL
Revision on 12/18/13

This was my second WLS, my first was the lapband and it was really unsuccessful and had some complications with it. On Dec 18th 2013 I revised to the Bypass, I had researched it before the band but my ex had me do the band instead. I was calm the whole time till i got my date scheduled and then all of a sudden for the first time since I started research of it (2007) I was scared and nervous. My surgery and recovery has gone really well, havent been on pain meds since 3 days out, only issues I have is I itch where my incisions are. But Im using some benadryl cream. I hope that helps some.  and Also its normal to be afraid or scared of the unknown. We are humans.

Missella20
on 1/1/14 6:30 am
RNY on 07/11/13

Hi, I work with 5 people who have had the surgery before me. They have had no complications and have no regrets. I had the surgery in July and am at the 6 month period and had no complications. I did read some bad stories but I think it is not the norm. So I was not worried.....just couldn't wait for the surgery. My body lets me know if I eat too much with discomfort in my chest area. I have lost almost 80 lbs and have about 30-50 to go (I am not sure of my goal weight yet). One of my best friends had the surgery 12 yrs ago and is doing fine. So I have not had any personal experiences that were negative. The plan must be followed according to dr. directions to maximize success rate. Good luck with your decision.

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

basilmk
on 1/1/14 6:54 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

My surgery is next week and the more I research, the more optimistic I am. Many friends warned me with horror stories about dumping, nausea and continual pain post-op.  But.....I am inherently a rule follower and it seems that the problems occur when you do not follow the rules. My required pre-op sessions have given me all the information I need to be successful and the booklets prepared by my doctor and his staff answer any questions I've had. I am now much more at ease with my decision and look forward to what comes next.

congratulations on your decision....I'm sure you will be happy about it, too.

AnneGG
on 1/1/14 6:45 am

I'm a grateful story at 3 ½ years out- I would do my bypass again in a heartbeat. I've had no complications so far. I was scared silly pre-op but did lots and lots of research so I had an idea of what I was getting into. I won't lie to you- it's been hard work, and continues to take daily attention and action and will for the rest of my life. My habits and way of thinking have changed so much I don't recognize myself outside or inside. But I am so very grateful I took the leap- the payoff has been tremendous in terms of health and weight and self esteem and confidence.

So I wish you courage and success!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

nuleaseonlife
on 1/1/14 8:20 am

Thank for encouragement ....Happy New Year..

MsBatt
on 1/1/14 7:34 am

I'm ten years out from my DS, and I feel better than I did when I was 25. (I'm 55 now.)

Most Active