HELP, I am feeling lost

wiles1030
on 1/1/14 8:23 am - Decatur, AL

I am three years post op from a RNY and over the past year I have been fighting the emotions "not being happy" but the last 6 months have been awful. I have tried but can't pin point what the issue is and actually broke up a 6 year relationship last week because of my unhappiness.

Any or idea's on what might be happening?

Bette B.
on 1/1/14 8:30 am

I'm going to say that it's probably unrelated to your RNY. You just went through the holidays without the person you spent 6 years with. Depression is the most likely suspect, and justifiably so. Talk to your PCP and see about getting in to see a therapist.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Eggface
on 1/1/14 8:40 am - Sunny Southern, CA

You don't mention whether you have discussed these feeling with your Dr. I would start there. There is definitely an emotional journey to WLS we go through, a normal reaction to major change (I do think it's the hardest part of WLS) or it could be something more... depression, malabsorption of medication (if you are on any talk with your Dr about adjustments), vitamin deficiency (check labs), many possible reasons. Talk with your Dr. perhaps he/she can help or refer you to someone that can pinpoint the issue.

Hope 2014 offers you some answers and plenty of happy days.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

moonandstarzz
on 1/1/14 8:52 am - Decatur, AL
Revision on 12/18/13

I suffer from a host of mental health issues (ptsd, depression, bipolar, anxiety, just to name a few) and I understand how you feel, The best thing to do is to consult your dr or a psychiatrist. You have gone through alot of changes in the past 3 yrs not just physically but mentally also. Dont get discouraged and seek out the help from your dr. Even if u have a mild case of depression its better to get to it before it gets any worse. Sometimes it can take a while to find the right dosage on medicines. Just stay strong.

wiles1030
on 1/1/14 8:18 pm - Decatur, AL
Thanks

moonandstarzz
on 1/1/14 8:55 am, edited 1/1/14 8:57 am - Decatur, AL
Revision on 12/18/13

hold on i just looked at the post again u live in Decatur, Alabama????

So do I....I know a psychiatrist thats great but she is in Guntersville.

wiles1030
on 1/1/14 8:17 pm - Decatur, AL
I am in Decatur, congratulations on your recent surgery and best of luck. I don't think I can do Guntersville but thanks for the info. Feel free to email me if u wish at [email protected]

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/1/14 9:41 am - OH

It is common for people who were experiencing some level of depression before their WLS to get a reprieve from it for about 2 years after surgery and then find that it returns to pre-op levels (or is even worse) after that, so if you fall into this category this might be what is happening.

Some people experience depression as a result of unmet expectations about how their lives would be different after they got the weight off, or expectations that certain problems (which they erroneously attributed to their weight) would go away after they lost the weight (and then they discover that the problems are still there because they weren't a result f the weight after all).

If you have been on any kind of mental health meds (or some other meds, such as thyroid hormone), they may not be absorbing adequately and require a dosage adjustment.  Some medical conditions (e.g., hypothyroidism) can cause a very vague sense of unhappiness or depression. If your hormone levels are off, that can cause depression as well.

I would definitely suggest that you get in to see your PCP and talk to him about what you are experiencing and get some of the potential medical issues ruled out. I would also seek out a counselor to help you understand what it is that you are feeling because, even if the is a medical condition contributing it, there is probably also a psychological/emotional component as well.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

wiles1030
on 1/1/14 8:14 pm - Decatur, AL
Thank you for your insight. I do already experience malisorption issues with medication and never thought about that playing that playing a role in this.

2_be_me_again
on 1/2/14 2:59 pm

Damn Lora!  You hit the nail on the head for me.  That's probably the best assessment I can think of.  "As a result of unmet expectations".   You know... I've never considered this to be the case until now.  Of course I've experienced more recent issues but you have me thinking deeper now.  

Thanks for that timely reply...  YOU ROCK!

AT GOAL in 336 days...!
SW / CW / GW
299 /174.5/ 175
6' tall - size 10

Most Active