Thinking about a revision to surgery

Kim-in-Colorado
on 1/2/14 3:18 am - Windsor, CO

I've been reading about some warnings and risks to revision surgery: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/revision-weight-l oss-surgery.html

I'd like to hear from those of you that have had the revision done. How did it go? Any problems at all? 

Is there any advice  you would be able to give me as I contemplate this?

thank you!!

moonandstarzz
on 1/2/14 6:02 am - Decatur, AL
Revision on 12/18/13

well im 2 wks out from my revision from lapband to bypass and so far no issues.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/2/14 6:21 am

Revision from what, to what, makes all the difference in the world as far as success. Revisions are riskier, so I'd be sure to look for the procedure most likely to give the results I wanted, so as not to put myself though the trauma of another surgery for no reason.

MsBatt
on 1/2/14 6:55 am

What sort of revision are you thinking of having? We have a lot of revision patients over on the DS board, from various other surgery types.

ohbearly
on 1/3/14 8:53 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

Kim, I revised from Lapband (07/2008) to RNY on 07/31/13. It went very well. I recovered quite fast and was walking a mile in 2 days. I had little pain. Over the past 5 months I lost another 65 pounds. I did get rid of my Lapband issues of acid reflux, night coughing and uncomfortableness. The RNY suits me well. I am pretty sugar intolerant now but am OK with that. 

In mid October I had some internal bleeding. After an upper GI and colonoscopy they found a suspect area on my colon that was healing. They marked it and are going to relook at in in a month or so. It did result in me being hospitalized for 2 days. My surgeon actually thinks it was not related to the surgery. Anyway, it's gone and I recovered very well.  

Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

sandi9
on 1/3/14 10:13 am - Australia

Yes, I too had revision surgery 7 weeks ago. I had a Band 5 years ago. Succesfully lost all my weight , but had a prolapse(slippage) and had to have the band out, and adhesions removed. That was 6 months ago. Then I had a RNY 7 weeks ago. Amazingly painless, much less than the band for me. Faster healing time, was up walking that day, home in 3 days, life back to normal within 5 days, and I am a sole parent with 3 children. During the 6 months that my band was out, I regained all my weight. I have a bread addiction, which the band cured. I resumed my old eating habits. However, in the 7 weeks since my revision surgery, I have lost 12kgs, and am on the right path again, with only one slice of bread a day! It cured me of my bread addiction once again. I have so much more energy than I ever did with the band, walk vigorously daily, and have a renewed enthusiasm for life. My revision was a Godsend. I hope everything all works out for you too.

Cheers, Sandi, Australia.

destined2beslim
on 1/7/14 8:38 am - Upper Marlboro, MD
Revision on 12/09/13

I am 4 weeks out from a sleeve revised to another sleeve.  The surgery was longer this second time and I really have to be more vigilant about avoiding leaks and not pushing it too hard.   I was in an intense amount of pain the first time.  This time I only needed pain meds for the first two days after surgery and up and about with no problem.  The only issue I have is that my restriction is much tighter than it was the first time and I have to be extra careful about following instructions to the T. I thought the weight loss would be slower but I've lost 33 pounds in 3 weeks.   My nutritionist told me that I am her first sleeve to sleeve revision and it may be hard finding others that have gone through the same thing.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1474 views