What will cause your surgery to be cancelled?

NorthernHusky
on 1/2/14 3:39 am

i was wondering if there was anything that i could do to cancel my surgery? on accident? that the surgeons might notice?

jondakay
on 1/2/14 5:37 am

Well, if you were to eat or drink after midnight, they would probably cancel your surgery(risk of aspiration). If you had a fever, or some kind of infection probably would cancel. If you had a rash on your abdomen where they need to make incisions would be another reason. If you had chest pain, your EKG abnormal, or lab values out of whack. 

I'm curious why do you ask? 

luvbskts
on 1/2/14 5:41 am

Mine was canceled twice.  Both times it was the anestesiologist (sp?).  He wouldn't do my surgery if I was taking Plavix.  An entire team of cardiologist cleared me to go off of Plavix but he somehow knew more than they did.  BUT, if I signed a waiver saying that my family wouldn't sue if something went wrong then he'd do it.  He did this to me twice and both time canceled 2-3 days prior to surgery.  I ended up going to a different dr, hospital, everything.  So far, so good!

moonandstarzz
on 1/2/14 5:55 am - Decatur, AL
Revision on 12/18/13

Are you wanting to cancel your surgery? Just wondering why your asking.

NorthernHusky
on 1/2/14 6:01 am

i  am most certainly not wanting to cancel lol.. i want more than anything to continue... i just dont want any hidden surprises lol

moonandstarzz
on 1/2/14 6:06 am - Decatur, AL
Revision on 12/18/13

lol ok just making sure u wasnt getting nervous (even if u was its normal to be nervous). But as long as u listen and follow drs orders to a T you should be fine.

NorthernHusky
on 1/2/14 6:09 am

kathkeb
on 1/2/14 10:24 am

Another post of yours mentions smoking, and I can say that my surgeon will not operate on you if you have not stopped smoking for several months.

he does a nicotine test on some patients to verify their compliance, and will cancel if they have not stuck by his rules.

other than that, as others have said, illness on surgery day, or drinking and eating after the 'night before cutoff' can cause a cancellation.

Kath

VSG on 06/12/13
If I had gained any weight on my preop diet, it was a nogo. I lost 15 lbs.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

NorthernHusky
on 1/2/14 10:22 pm

the pre-op diet here is 2 weeks.. my friend seemed to do it ok... it was hard she said. but thanks :)

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1336 views