Had the bypass in 1985

Mishka_1
on 1/2/14 12:09 pm

Hi! I just wanted (anyone interested) that in 1985  Dr Basil Meyerwitz performed the Gastric Bypass surgery on me. He was one of few Drs performing the surgery in those days. It was scary. I have a huge abdominal scar. But I would not change a thing. On the day of my surgery my 5' 6" small framed body was carrying 325 lbs of fat around. I was depressed, miserable, embarrassed....I could go on and on. 

But on Oct 13, 1985 I had the surgery at Mills Hosp in San Mateo. Within 6 mos I lost 50 lbs. Within 1 year and 3 mos I weighed 138 lbs!!! I was given a new life. I was able to be an active healthy mother to my 2 small children. 

Today, 29 yrs later, 57 yrs old. I am told I look in my 40's. I'm healthy, happy and still at a healthy weight. In 1985, the procedure I had was still fairly new and the long term effects were .... Shall we say hazy, and was told the surgery may have to be redone again in 10-12 yrs later. 29 yrs later I fluctuate between 160-168. Which is just fine with me. My tummy is not quite as small as it used to be. But it's still small. I still cannot finish my meal. I cannot eat a hamburger. 1/2 always goes home with me when we eat out.  I eat what I want. But I eat healthy amounts. I never did get the tummy tuck or plastic surgery. Plain old excise kept me tone. Although now that I find myself 57 I wouldn't mind a few nips n tucks. 

Anyway, the reason for my posting is to share with anyone who is considering this surgery.  I highly recommend it. It truly will change your life. These days I'm sure the procedure has been much improved and smaller incision. Just continue with the vitamins, Iron, Calcium, B12. You will be just fine. Do it. You won't regret it. 

Good luck to you all. 

Thank you Dr Jack Posnick for introducing me to Dr Meyerwitz. Thank you to Dr Basil Meyerwitz for saving my life!!

Mishka

Member Services
on 1/3/14 1:04 am - Irvine, CA

angilfires
on 1/3/14 2:40 am - lakeside, CA

Mishka,

What a wonderful post!  I'm about 5 1/2 years out post weight loss surgery and it's great to hear about long term success.  Kudos to you for taking such good care of your body!  Thank you for sharing.  Happy Healthy New Year to you.

Gaby

onelilbirdie
on 1/3/14 3:56 am
Mishka,
Thank you for posting this. Your account is encouraging. I am in the process of losing again (rebound weight gain can be a nightmare!) Word to the wise: Don't do this to yourselves. Learn and listen to those who are battling to regain their health. Thanks for the encouragement. It is clear that long term success is attainable! All good things to you on your continued journey!

Kenyatta W.
on 1/3/14 4:53 am, edited 1/3/14 4:54 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 01/07/13

Hello Mishka,

Yay for you!!! angry

It is very encouraging for a long timer that had RNY 29 yrs ago can still be successful. I know that it takes hard work and dedication to be a success story like yourself. By me being new to this, this post gives me hope.Thanks so much for sharing!!!

~Kenyatta"....Nothing never changes itself, Unless YOU make it...."

HW: 305 SW: 272 CW: 150  GW: 150

BMI Finally in Over Weight range..... ECSTATIC!!!!!

Patm
on 1/3/14 5:16 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

29 yrs is amazing. Thank you for posting. I am only 2 yrs out and stories like you give me hope of being able to maintain my weight long term

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1342 views