10 Cold Hard Facts about WLS (Cross-post)

ohbearly
on 1/2/14 7:38 pm - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

I posted this on the Revision board in December. Many have asked that I cross post it on this forum. Pardon the repeat if you have already seen it.

At 5 1/2 years post-op Lapband and 5 months post-op RNY revision, I decided to write a post on my blog of the 10 facts about WLS that I have learned over the years. I wrote it in a direct style and have been wondering if I was too harsh with the list. I toyed with publishing the list over the past week or so. I see these as the realities people need to face day-to-day after WLS. Here is the list. You can click on the link to my blog to read the details.

http://beariatric.com/2013/12/16/10-cold-hard-facts-about-we ight-loss-surgery/

1. It is not THE permanent solution.
  2. Yes, you have a problem with food.
  3. Sorry but you have to exercise.
  4. That’s right. You better not eat that.
  5. Help! My scale took me hostage.
  6. Were you really expecting the body of a Victoria Secret model?
  7. Oh no… you didn’t! You say I took the easy way out.
  8. I found the good, the bad and the ugly about change.
  9. Who is that new person in the mirror?
  10. It’s the best thing you ever did for yourself.

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

jimjayhawk
on 1/2/14 8:12 pm
RNY on 02/10/13

Not sure what you thought might be too harsh, seems pretty straight forward. I'm approaching 11 months out and am VERY deeply annoyed by people who are totally clueless regarding your points 1-4. 

AnneGG
on 1/2/14 9:41 pm, edited 1/2/14 9:42 pm

This is perfect, thanks! The only thing I would add somewhere is:

a) You're going to have to change your insides and thinking, too.

b) Maintenance is forever- you're going to have to work it no matter what.

Reality sucks sometimes, but it is the way it is. And knowledge and experience are two different animals- I knew about maintenance, but the experience... But thank heavens I went into it knowing what to expect.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

ohbearly
on 1/2/14 10:20 pm - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

Maintenance is forever is a real good one. I too often hear in support group from someone that they thought things would be so different after WLS and their weight problem would go away forever. People just don't realize that everyone needs to monitor their diet and health and work at being healthier every day. Like I said, there was no free pass for a skinny life issued at surgery.

Sweetish
on 1/3/14 9:15 am
RNY on 12/12/14

I liked it a lot!  Thanks for being so direct and to the point.  I am 45 and most of the people I associate with and have known for a very long time are 40+ yrs. old and they all have to work at being healthy.  They have to watch what they eat and most do exercise a couple times a week at least.  

AnneGG
on 1/3/14 9:50 am

Visited your blog just now- you do a great job of expanding each item on your list. I've bookmarked it, thanks.

Hope you don't mind if I share it with my support group.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

2_be_me_again
on 1/2/14 9:44 pm

Nice!  My addition to this is - Going to support groups is a life-time necessity!

AT GOAL in 336 days...!
SW / CW / GW
299 /174.5/ 175
6' tall - size 10

ohbearly
on 1/2/14 10:17 pm - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

I am a firm believer in support groups and go to my local one monthly. Many of us also formed a social support group and that has given people a new circle of friends and things to do.

Tracy D.
on 1/2/14 10:16 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Love it!  This should be posted in every bariatric surgeon's office and should be required reading before one signs up for surgery - good job! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

MyLady Heidi
on 1/3/14 12:56 am

Everyone's reality is different, so this might be your reality but it's not mine.  This is a permanent change, I can't change back after 9 years, my body can't handle certain food, certain things like too much fat make me sick.  I doubt it is going to get better now, if it hasn't so far.  But I am fine with that.  What really needs to be said is you need to make your own peace with the food demons that brought you to this point.  Because I can tell you it wasn't brisket and baked potatoes that got me fat, it was Ben & Jerry, and all sorts of packaged sweets.  So now I have a million little tricks to keep myself on the straight and narrow, once I look at the calories and I know they are terrible that food is dead to me.  I love the fact McDonald's put up their calories, same with Starbucks, I can never have even one thing from there now.  That is excellent.  I was in denial for a long time about the calories in things I still allowed, but this forced me to face everything.  If they really want to solve the obesity problem the calorie count should be on the front of the package not on the back where it can be ignored.  But for each person it is different.  Exercise isn't part of my life, calorie restriction is, I can't exercise a great deal and I don't.  But it works because the calories I consume are meant to keep me healthy.  There is no one size fits all surgery, or maintenance plan, you just need to be realistic and do what works for you.

Most Active