cant get post of meds!

glady
on 1/4/14 5:20 am

I just had my surgery three days ago(gastric bypass) and my insurance was cancelled the day I got out of the hospital. I haven't been taking my Nexium because I cant afford the precription. whats going to happen to me. I cant get any nexium for at least 2 more days. I'm in mass and I haven't been able to get in contact with my doctor because of the storm

poet_kelly
on 1/4/14 6:59 am - OH

You can buy just two days worth of the prescription if you can't afford the whole thing.  Why was your insurance cancelled?  How were you planning to pay for meds and follow up care and stuff?  I know there is a storm but doesn't your surgeon's practice have someone on call?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/4/14 7:21 am - OH

Probably nothing will happen if you don't take the Nexium at all, let alone just not for another two days, so relax. Some surgeons don't require it at all post-op.

I know it doesn't help you now, but if you knew your insurance was ending on Jan 1, why didn't you ask your surgeon to write the scripts for everything you would need post-op so you could get them filled while you still had insurance?  (My surgeon gave us all the scripts we would need before surgery.)

Did you pay for your pain meds on your own?  If Nexium is expensive, you can ask for a script for something else or get a generic, which would cost less.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 1/4/14 8:30 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

Omneprezole works just as well as Nexium and is OTC.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

glady
on 1/4/14 8:47 am
I wasnt notified my insurance would be cancelled and didn't find out untill I tried to get meds. My insurance us being switched so i still have it I just have to call the provider but they have been closed since storm.
Mary Gee
on 1/4/14 10:35 am

I live in Massachusetts too.  What insurance did you have?  I believe you have to be notified if your insurance is going to be canceled.  

Call your insurer to get the scoop.  

Call MA Health.  Also, there are programs to help cover prescription expenses.  

Still learning.  Currently in pre-op stage.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1428 views