Working towards a diagnosis

KittysarusRex
on 1/4/14 8:30 am

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the site and a coworker recommended it to me after I started asking about his weight loss surgery.  I'm considering lapband currently because of my weight loss struggles which seem to be added to a host of other issues which I'm working on getting diagnosed at the moment.

At the beginning of the year last year I went to the doctor, looking for an answer when making life changes to my diet and exercise for months got me little results, when everyone I had spoken to people who had amazing results doing the same.  After a battle with my doctor just to get appropriate testing and diagnoses, I was sent to a dermatologist for hair loss and acne who had enough sense to test my hormone levels.  I came back with high prolactin, high testosterone, and high DHEA.  After becoming frustrated I switched doctors and he sent me to have an ultrasound on my ovaries which came up negative for cysts and I assume, canceling out the diagnosis of PCOS.  I do have an insulin resistance which I'm currently not on medication for.  I've heard pituitary tumor come out of too many doctor's mouths recently and I'm waiting on my insurance to approve a CT to check to see if I have one, and in the mean while I'm struggling with my weight and feeling frustrated.  My mom has even mentioned Cushing's Disease but I'm still waiting to see an Endocrinologist.  The one I was going to see later this month left the practice so now I have to wait more, hurray!

I need to get healthy in a bad way and I think lapband could help with things I suffer from like issues feeling full, staying full, and overeating, but I'm concerned about my other health issues and was looking for others who have similar problems.

Words of wisdom would be nice.

Thank you!

Linda_S
on 1/4/14 9:43 am - Eugene, OR

Weightloss surgery might well help you, but please re-consider getting a lapband.  Go to the lapband section of this site and also the revisions section.  The lapband can and is very bad news for many people.  It's not very effective, can cut into your anatomy, and cause all sorts of problems.  No surgery is without risk, but the lapband is one of the worst.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Hislady
on 1/4/14 10:06 am - Vancouver, WA

I agree with Linda! While the band has worked for a few people it is really the very worst of all the weight loss surgeries. It has an effective rating of 50% which is pretty poor. I have one now and am miserable with it, even empty but I can't get it out because insurance doesn't cover anything to do with bariatrics including removing my band. So unless it is an emergency situation and my life is at stake I can't get it out. Many of us never felt any kind of restriction and I always felt hunger with the band, not to mention even following all the  "rules" I only lost 20 lbs. It is also not permanent and needs to be removed at some point between 5-10 years out according to the manufacturer. So I would really suggest any other surgery but not the band it is a horrible piece of torture that does no good.

Most Active