Food reactions post surgery

cheekymonkey62
on 1/4/14 9:33 am

I am considering either bypass or sleeve surgery.  What I want to know is what others have learner or experienced about eating after surgery.  I've done research and have struggled to find information on this.  I want to be able to eat normal foods - raw vegetables, spices, etc - after surgery without getting sick.  Are the two procedures about the same in this regard or what?  I'd really appreciate your feedback.

shoutjoy
on 1/4/14 7:10 pm - Culpeper, VA

Hi there,

Very good questions.  The journey is different for everyone and you will find that your tolerances for certain foods may change.  It is always good to follow the advice of professionals in the area of bariatrics and food.  I am 13 years out and I can eat almost anything but sometimes body just doesn't like a particular choice that day.  So with each meal, think about your choices.  Be mindful when eating and don't be distracted by outside influences.  Keep a journal of what works and what doesn't work.  In time, some changes or additions may or may not come up.  It is very personal but always remember this is a tool and using it properly will give you success. 

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/4/14 10:10 pm - OH

It is different for everyone.  I had RNY and there are only three things I cannot eat (onion rings, apple skins, and the membrane around citrus fruit segments).  I can eat anything else I have tried.  Many of my friends who have had RNY also have very few, if any, food limitations.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MsBatt
on 1/5/14 6:20 am

I chose the DS, so I have a Sleeved stomach. I can eat anything I choose. The Sleeve leaves you with a fully-functional stomach.

VSG on 06/12/13
I have a sleeve and have had no issues eating veggies, spices, anything. I have had a seafood allergy pop up, but this may be related to the PPI that I am on.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

MyLady Heidi
on 1/6/14 7:08 pm

I had rny almost nine years ago, and I have RH, so too many carbs at once from any source are an issue.  But that just means I have to eat healthy combinations of foods.  I cannot eat fried food at all or anything full fat, it grosses me out and makes me sick and queasy.  I don't like red meat very much, but I do eat a lot of healthy Mexican food that is made with fat free turkey or chicken.  I can eat a little spice, but not too hot.  I can't eat salad dressing unless it is light, I can enjoy salads though.  I love brown rice and eat it daily, I was a picky eater before surgery and still am just with more limits.  But that is why I am still at goal, because eating crap like fast food or full fats is what gets us fat, now I can't and don't eat crap.  I would not want a sleeve for that very reason, because if I could I might, with rny I can't.  

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1459 views