Surgery 1/23

brooke30
on 1/4/14 3:21 pm

Hello, 

I have been lurking around this board for several weeks now. I have learned valuable things from you all. 

I feel really excited to have surgery. I know & understand the work that will be required of me to accomplish my goals with the sleeve. I don't feel nervous at all. For as long as I can remember I have wanted weigh much less than I do now.

My questions: 1. Is it normal/ok to be this excited for surgery & not nervous? 2. I'm 30 & live alone. Will this journey be a lot harder for me since I live alone? I have support from friends & family but they all live 8 hrs away 3. How soon did you join a gym after surgery/or start back up at the gym?

Thanks in advance for your responses. I am grateful to have found this site (a girl in the waiting room in my surgeon's office told me to check it out)

Thanks!

Member Services
on 1/5/14 1:45 am - Irvine, CA

Hi!

We are excited for you!! Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  It would be exciting to finally get healthy for yourself and loved ones.  Find a support group either through your surgeon's office, facility where you are having surgery and or local greet and meets.  It depends on who quickly you heal so listen to your surgeon as far as when to return to exercising.  Here are some links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

Regards,

Member Services

AnneGG
on 1/5/14 3:16 am

Of course it's OK to be excited and not nervous! You're going to beginning a new life journey! Sounds like you're aware of what you're getting yourself into. It was a mixed bag for me in terms of how I felt, but I am so grateful now with regard to both health and well being. And you're right, it does take a lot of daily work as well as ha*****anges.

I would suggest finding a way to get hands on support, especially for your day of surgery and a few days after. You're going to need that. But after that period, you'll be fine on your own. Face to face support groups will be helpful in addition to online groups and sites like this one.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

brooke30
on 1/5/14 7:54 am

Thanks for the reply! My mom is coming to stay the week with me when I have the surgery! 

KevinBacon
on 1/5/14 3:53 am
VSG on 03/10/14

Hi!!! 

Not strange at all!!! I feel exactly the same!!! Welcome!

dragonlove
on 1/6/14 7:43 am
RNY on 11/20/13

I only had one day of fear, three days before my surgery.... outside of that, I was like you - excited and happy to be doing it!  Since your mom will be coming to stay with you for a week after surgery, I'd say you'll be in good shape.  You will still be sore and moving very slowly afterwards, but you should be fine on your own after that.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Most Active