2 months on pre op pre approval process - no weight loss...

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/14 11:41 pm

I have been under bariatric center's supervision for 2 months now but I have not lost any weight, I'm just maintaining.  Has anyone been denied by insurance at the end of the 3 or 6 month period because they didn't lose any weight on their own before surgery (not including optifast diet as I haven't started that)? 

LosingSarah
on 1/11/14 12:00 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I didn't lose, and I wasn't denied, but I was not required by either my insurance or my surgeon to lose any weight.  I did lose 11 lbs while on the two-week pre-op high protein/mostly liquid diet.

Were you given a number or percentage of weight to lose? Have they said anything to you about not losing? My surgery center was awesome in that they knew all the specifics and would contact their patients insurance company to find out anything we needed them to about the rules for approval. I am going to assume they know what's what. Since you don't know, though, I'd ask them next time you go in. I had to go in once a month during my required 6 month medically supervised diet.

AnneGG
on 1/11/14 12:29 am

You're just simply going to have to change your habits with diet and exercise- there is no other way WLS will work over the long haul, let alone after surgery. It is not magic. A person has to work it- it gives the gift of helping you get the weight off, but then you are on your own. That is why the pre-op diet is prescribed- to see how ready and willing a person is to do the necessary work.

I'm being blunt with you because that's just the way it is. Whether your surgeon will go ahead with the operation will be his decision- you'll have to see.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

The Salty Hag
on 1/11/14 5:40 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I didn't lose any at first either, and during Optifast I only lost 13 lbs. 

A lot depends on your insurance company. I have UHC and had to do six months of weigh ins and have a 5 year weight history of obesity. Even though I didn't do THAT great with my weight loss on the Optifast, I was still approved for surgery. 

Not everyone will have a huge weight loss before surgery, but we do need to start eating healthier and exercising before starting the Optifast. ( not saying you haven't done that already... )

Hope this helps!! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Most Active