What to Pack: Traveling After VSG

LisaTeix
on 1/12/14 3:39 pm

Hello!

I'm one month post-op (my doctors appt and one month nutrition class is this week) and I'm going on a trip for MLK weekend. I won't have my car and while I'll be around some civilization, I'm expecting little more than a market (Safeway) and CVS. Beyond my medications, information in case something goes wrong (doctors #, medication list), and protein shakes, I'm looking for any advice of suggestions on what else I should pack. I'll be starting Soft foods this week and I'll be packing some food (as to not be tempted to eat off-diet) but if anyone has suggestions, I would really appreciate it!

Member Services
on 1/13/14 1:11 am - Irvine, CA

Hello LisaTeix,

Congratulations on your surgery and the beginning of your journey    

If you have not done so already be sure and post this on the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

AnneGG
on 1/13/14 4:00 am

I have done a lot of traveling post-op, including a trip about a month out. Sound like your check list is great and just what you need.

I take cheese sticks plus sliced turkey- the turkey part you won't be able to do on soft foods unless you purée it- and buy yogurt and skim milk for my protein shakes after going through security if I'm flying. Plus I take a Blender bottle for the shakes- works well. If you can take a small cooler and a Ninja or other small blender you will have a lot more options. Safeway will give you lots of choice with soft cheeses such as cottage cheese, eggs to scramble or boil, and stuff you can purée- you won't even need access to a kitchen with the blender and cooler.

Hey, have fun with your trip!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Most Active