Things I WON'T Miss!

Free2bMe2014
on 1/13/14 12:02 am - Annapolis, MD
VSG on 07/28/14

Hey Everyone!

I am very new to this community and am just beginning my weight loss journey. I have made the decision to have the sleeve done and have my first consultation appointment with a surgeon on Feb 11th. I still have so many questions and everyday I question if I have made the right decision. When doubt creeps in, I start to think about all the things I won't miss after having this surgery. Things like...

1. Not being able to put on my own socks

2. Shooting pains in my lower back when I stand or walk to long

3. Not sleeping at night due to severe apnea

4. Not fitting into movie theater seats, airplane seats, roller coasters, booths at restaurants, etc.

5. Chaffing of my inner thighs from them rubbing together

6. Profuse sweating at the exertion of the slightest bit of energy

7. Having to explain to my 10 year why mommy is always so tired, why I'd rather sleep all day on the weekends

This is my motivation.

For those you who have already taken this brave step and are living happier, healthier lives, what are some things you WON'T miss??

Member Services
on 1/13/14 1:15 am - Irvine, CA

Scribbler
on 1/13/14 1:50 am
  • Dreading taking the stairs because my knees hurt so bad
  • Heel spurs
  • Wearing ugly clothes that I hate because nothing else fits
  • Hearing "It's a shame because you are so pretty" all the time
  • Dreading doctor visits because you always get the fat talk
  • Wishing you could do this or that activity but you're just too large for it
  • Not being able to fly
  • Not being able to do your calisthenics right because your body physically won't go into that contortion
  • Going out with people knowing that you're the "fat friend" that people like to stand next to in pictures so that they'll look thinner
  • Knowing that if there was an emergency situation you wouldn't be able to run to safety
  • Getting beaten up by movie theater seats
  • Basically being punished every single day that you are alive because you're obese
Free2bMe2014
on 1/13/14 4:52 am - Annapolis, MD
VSG on 07/28/14

I'm right there with you Scribbler!! We have sooo much to look forward to. The more time I spend on this site the more I think I am making the right decision. Thanks for your response and best to you!!

Curious.George
on 1/13/14 2:15 am - Canada

Here are some wonderful things to look forward to:

1. Being able to see and touch your feet

2. Being able to cut your own toe nails

3. No more back pain, heel pain or just general pain everywhere

4. Having lots more energy

5. Being able to go for long walks

6. Fitting into seats everywhere

There are so many more benefits to having this surgery. Life will change so much for the better.

Hope this helps to reinforce your decision to go ahead with the operation!

Take good care and good luck to you!

Referral Date: May 29, 2012;  TWH     Orientation: June 19,2012;     Nurse Practitioner Group Session and Social Worker Initial Assessment: September 25, 2012;     Nurse Practitioner One-on-One and Psych. Assessment: January 18, 2013;     Met with surgeon: March 8, 2013;     Pre-Op scheduled: June 20,2013;   Surgery scheduled: July 17, 2013!    Surgery Completed!

Free2bMe2014
on 1/13/14 4:53 am - Annapolis, MD
VSG on 07/28/14

Yes!! What a way to turn a frown upside down! So much to look forward to. Thank you for the positive and encouraging words, I am getting really excited!!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/14 5:03 am

I am not sleeved yet, but I am not going to miss the PANIC when a funeral pops up.  Instead of mouring the person who passed, I freak out about what I am going to wear and what will everyone think when they see how chubby I have become.  Sad but true:(

Free2bMe2014
on 1/13/14 5:06 am - Annapolis, MD
VSG on 07/28/14

OMG!! That is totally me but not just at funeral... it's anytime I have to make a "public appearance". I feel like a failure every time I run into someone I have not seen in a while. I even go as far as to turn the other way and avoid an actual confrontation at all costs. That is definitely a feeling I WILL NOT MISS!!!

I hope you are as encouraged as I am with the support of so many who have been where we are right now. We can do this!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/14 7:05 am

Funerals always terrify me because you cannot plan as you can for a wedding, reunion etc.  I could always CRASH diet for a month before those and not feel totally awful.  But a funeral, no way.  Yes, I will  not miss any of it.  I just want it over and pray for no complications.   Trying to stay positive:)

Most Active