Surgery Magnifies What is Hidden inside

KevinBacon
on 1/13/14 12:50 pm
VSG on 03/10/14

If your heart is hard, you will spread hardness. If you are kind, you will spread kindness. If you have hate, you will be hateful. Surgery doesn't change people, but it does magnify who they are when they aren't hiding anymore. 

I can't wait to have one less roadblock in my life. I have so much left to give this world. DAMN I'M HAPPY!!! I can't wait to start this next chapter of my life!!!

What do you think of surgery and changing people. Do you think it changed you? For pre ops, how do you feel about surgery and the role it will play in your life?

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

Kenyatta W.
on 1/13/14 1:03 pm, edited 1/13/14 1:07 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 01/07/13

I just love the questions you ask!!!

Well for me, surgery changed my whole outlook of food. I was the type of person that live to eat but now I eat to live. I really don't care for food anymore. I use to find food fun before surgery but now it's just food. I never thought in a million years to not care for food anymore. I'm so grateful for this "tool"! enlightened

~Kenyatta"....Nothing never changes itself, Unless YOU make it...."

HW: 305 SW: 272 CW: 150  GW: 150

BMI Finally in Over Weight range..... ECSTATIC!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/14 3:37 pm

ME 2!!!!! 

AnneGG
on 1/13/14 5:49 pm, edited 1/13/14 8:43 pm

Here you go again with those questions of yours! You are a lover and a giver, KevinBacon.

I don't think surgery changed me. I'm the same person. What it did do was set me free to be me more freely, if that makes sense.

I don't apologize for the air I breathe anymore. I'm happier. I'm much more confident. I like me more- the process of doing what I have to do to keep the weight off and keep me healthy has made me stronger and proud of myself. I can count on myself to keep my promises. I'm comfortable being inside my skin. I love exploring new things and being with people without self consciousness. I love with ease and clarity. I'm passionate. I put up with a lot less. I fight harder for what I believe in and what matters to me. I contribute to others and make a difference. I reach for goals and stretch myself in a way I don't recognize from pre-surgery. My sense of humor and ability to laugh and enjoy and have fun knows no bounds. My sense of the wonder and awe that life is is with me always. I am blessed and grateful for every single day I wake up into, and I'm grateful the whole day long even when I'm upset or feeling miserable.

I am living life.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/14 3:38 pm

!!!!! Whoa whoa whoa... let me read that again GRRL... have U thought about writing a BOOK ?  

MyLady Heidi
on 1/13/14 6:15 pm

Sadly the surgery only made me lose weight, it didn't make my son into a caring compassionate responsible person whom I lose sleep worrying over nightly.  Looking to have a happy life, don't marry a selfish dick and have kids with him.  I heard on the news today that childless couples have the happiest marriages.  I totally believe that, having to care for and worry about another human being that you care about more then yourself is draining.  Some days I think my son is literally tying to scare me to death worrying about him.

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/14 3:39 pm

(((()))) Heidi

AnneGG
on 1/14/14 6:00 pm, edited 1/14/14 6:03 pm

Heidi, it's got to be so painful for you re: your son. My heart goes out to you.

I also want to say to you from knowing you for years now on these boards, you make a big difference here. I've always appreciated your straight on honesty with your experience and your viewpoints, and you have a unique way of saying things that is sharp and clear. You certainly don't waffle or beat around the bush or play fake nice, which is a breath of fresh air for me. You also never kill people off, which has been another breath of fresh air for me.

So thanks.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Kate -True Brit
on 1/14/14 6:58 pm - UK

My heart goes out to you.  Someone somewhere said "you are only ever as happy as your least happy child" and that is so very true. I don't have problems as awful as yours sound but I am never totally free of worry about my (adult) children!  As soon as one finishes a crisis, the phone rings and one of the others is in dire straits.  And generally there s nithing at all we parents can do except lie awake wishing we COULD wave that magic wand. 

No-one tells you this bit before you get pregnant! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

71dart
on 1/14/14 10:55 pm
VSG on 08/06/12 with

I disagree that WLS necessarily magnifies what is hidden inside.  It may.  Or there may be no change whatsoever.  It may however, force you to take a good hard look at yourself.

In MY case, I was no longer able to use food (and alcohol for that matter) as my drug(s) of choice to cope.  Discontinuing my destructive relationships with food and alcohol was scary.  As the fat melted away and I no longer had my armor, I was left bare and "just as I am." THAT reality continues to be a monumental challenge.

That being said, I absolutely would not change a thing.  I'll take it all...So worth it!  Every time I tie my own shoes I can't help but grin.

Tom

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1395 views