medical alert bracelets

murphygirl2013
on 1/14/14 10:15 am

Hi everybody,  my doctor and nurses suggest I purchase a medical alert bracelet after surgery,   Did anyone purchase one, if so from where?

Thank you

rosie_mari
on 1/14/14 10:28 am

I was recently told to get one and I still haven't purchased it yet.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/14/14 12:57 pm - OH

What kind of surgery did you have?

I purchased a new one after my RNY to add that information, but I already am supposed to wear one (I confess that I don't always, though) because I take blood thinner and could have fatal internal bleeding if I am in an accident and no one checks for it right away.  

Most RNYers that get alert bracelets include "no blind NG tube" (I assume VSG and DSers do the same) and many include "no NSAIDs", but honestly, it isn't likely anyone would try to put an NG tube in with you unconscious (a breathing tube, yes, but probably not an NG tube), and there are some cir****tances (stroke or heart attack) where you want them to give you the aspirin (and, again, this is unlikely if you are unconscious). 

If it makes you feel better to have one, then get one, but they aren't really mandatory (and for a fancy one, you will spend $50-100+).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jimjayhawk
on 1/14/14 6:00 pm
RNY on 02/10/13

My clinic didn't get into it (beyond the medical card in the wallet). I found a service on Amazon... cost less than $15... ANY place that does dog tags, personalization of luggage tags etc. can do it. It all depends how fancy you want to get and/or how important it is for you to spend lots of money

TexasTerritory
on 1/14/14 7:29 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I added a medical alert charm to my charm bracelet. It has my doctor's phone number on it. I work in a hospital setting. Doubt that I will ever need the medical alert charm but it will help should I not be able to give my medical history.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1400 views