2 mos of dry heaves, does it ever end?

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/14 5:58 am, edited 1/16/14 12:40 pm

Hello, and thank you in advance for any answers you all can give! I had my surgery on November 26th 2013, and despite my wonderful Surgeons best efforts it has been a nightmare. I was in the hospital for nine days with several complications, and now three months out I can't get any nutrition in. I can't even drink water some days because I get nausea so badly. I do take my prescriptions, and I have taken my vitamins when my stomach allows, but it's literally a daily struggle. Protein is a no no as well. I can't sleep, and I think I am dehydrated. My skin is very dry. I also have a forever running nose! The worst of all is the constant, and that is literal as well, constant dry heaves. No matter what passes my lips, I feel nausea. I hiccup, and then I dry heave. Usually the heaves will subside and I feel better. The other day I dry heaved for no reason in a store. Any ideas? This is worse than morning sickness! 

Bette B.
on 1/15/14 8:28 am

If you are keeping NOTHING down, you need to get to the ER NOW so you can get rehydrated. NOW. And then first thing in the morning you have to get in to see your surgeon. Again - call TOMORROW. You should NOT be sick all the time unless something is wrong.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

poet_kelly
on 1/15/14 8:51 am - OH

If you're dehydrated, that will cause nausea.  If you think you're dehydrated, you need to go to the ER right NOW for IV fluids. 

Did your doc prescribe anything for nausea?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/15/14 9:20 am - OH

If you had your surgery at the end of November, you are only 2 months out, not 3 (it isn't even the end of January yet).  Nevertheless, you should NOT be sick constantly.

There are dozens of ant-nausea meds, so if what your doctor is giving you (I assume you are taking something) isn't working, why have you not asked for something else after all this time?  What is your surgeon attributing the dry heaves to?  What has (s)he tried to help you alleviate it?

As the others said, if you really believe you are dehydrated (dry skin can also simply be a result of no fat in your diet), then you should go to the ER.  They can probably also give you something through an IV that is stronger than whatever you are taking for the nausea and heaving, so you would at least get some temporary relief.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/15/14 9:34 am - UK

I may have missed it but I can't see which surgery you have had. However, whichever it was, if you can't keep anything down for this length if time and are constantly nauseous to the point of heaving, you don't need our advice you need urgent medical help. 

But f you had surgery at the end of November, you are about seven weeks post-op and I do have two sleeved friends who took longer than that before they could tolerate food. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1277 views