vsg to bypass revision

canadianchick
on 1/15/14 9:24 am

HELP PLEASE...has anyone had a revision from a vsg to bypass ?? I am desperately looking for a surgeon in Ontario...I had my VSG done in Mexico 1 year ago and it was unsuccessful. Now if I want to go back and have the revision done it's going to cost me over $10.000 plus if there is any complications I could have to pay double that. I think if I'm gonna have to pay that I would much rather do it here at home. Ohip paying would be ideal.

Please can someone help me out ?!

Thank you :)

TurnThePage
on 1/15/14 12:42 pm

Before you have another surgery, it would seem advisable to get to the bottom of why you have failed with the sleeve.  If you are not sticking with the food and exercise regimen, lack commitment to the protocol and/or are having emotional problems, an0ther surgery won't be any more successful. You'll be spending a lot of money unnecessarily and may be more at risk of complications.

If you want to solve a problem, you have to begin by defining the problem, understanding it and accepting it.   Perhaps a better place to start would be working with a therapist who is experienced with weight loss problems. Wishing you all the best.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/15/14 5:44 pm, edited 1/15/14 7:56 pm - UK

I agree with the PP.     I

f there was some sort of surgical/physical cause for "failure" then a second surgery might help. But the sleeve is a surgery which people on these boards usually find to be a very effective surgery (there is slightly less positive feed back on some other boards but even so it is generally seen as a "good" surgery).   

But if the surgery was done as it should be, you need to work out why it has not helped you as you hoped. If it was because you were unable to change your eating habits, there is no real reason why bypass would be any better. You can eat round any weight loss surgery. The malabsorption caused by bypass is not forever and less than half of people dump with sugary things. 

So why do you think a second surgery would be better?  It might be! Just that you have not told us why you feel VSG has not worked for you.   

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

canadianchick
on 1/15/14 7:23 pm

Thank you for the responses. I did follow the diet to a T in fact. I still don't eat alot of food. I usually eat approx 900 calories a day. I was told after the fact that my metabolism just doesn't work well it's very slow. Believe me I've tried just about everything...which is why I'm so desperate :(

Kate -True Brit
on 1/15/14 7:27 pm - UK

I suppose the malabsorption of bypass might help you then.  But that does not last forever, I see bypassed people quoting about two or so years.  Not losing on 900 calories a day is surprising. Have you had things like your thyroid checked?

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

AnneGG
on 1/15/14 10:08 pm

Are you exercising regularly and pushing yourself with regard to that as well as not eating much? Exercise has a profound impact on metabolism. If you aren't exercising, you might want to consider doing that before you damage your body further and spend all that money.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

madetaca
on 1/16/14 8:58 am - Canada
RNY on 01/07/14

I just had my by-pass surgery last week.  Before the surgery, the surgeon explained to me that the decision to whether do a by-pass or a sleeve would depend on what they found once they were in.  Every toraxic operation causes adherences, and since I had had my gall bladder removed and a C-section, they did not know if there were too many adherences or not.  With the by-pass, they have to "pull up" intestines, and if there are adherences, pulling up could be risky (obstructions, etc.).  There is no guarantee they can safely perform a by-pass after a sleeve;  an ethical doctor should check that.  If you check here in Canada, it would be better.  You certainly do not want to run extra risks just for the sake of an operation.

Your family doctor could refer you to a bariatric clinic.  In which city are you?

Valerie G.
on 1/16/14 8:43 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I have no idea why you would want to butcher a fully functioning sleeve stomach into an artificial pouch and stoma.  A DS revision would utilize your sleeve (it may need to be resized) and give you the metabolic boost that the sleeve doesn't.  There is a Dr. Gagner in Canada that can do this for you.  I beieve he's around Ontario.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes