help gastric sleeve question

brennannicolel68
on 1/15/14 3:07 am - NJ

Im 4 months out and I am starting to eat chocolate and things pizza . And I feel hungry all the time even when I just ate. I know its all in my head. Ive lost 60 pound but ive been stuck at 215 for a month now. I exercise and try to get my protein in. Im scaried im going to stretch out my stomach again over time. Any advice Im trying soooo hard to stay away from bad things

MsBatt
on 1/15/14 4:58 am

You're hungry all the time because you're eating chocolate and pizza. Carbs are notorious for making you crave more carbs.

Get back to what you know you should be eating---protein, fat, and veggies. No bread, no pasta, no rice, no pizza dough. (Pizza toppings are fine.) No potatoes or corn.

You CAN do this!

Tracy D.
on 1/15/14 5:33 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm warning you right now, expect to get pummeled on here about eating this crap at 4 months out.  STOP EATING THAT **** NOW!   I say it with love and respect.   Now, this hunger may actually not be just in your head.  One of the reasons that you are feeling hungry is because you've awakened the carb monster by eating white carbs and sugar.  You have set yourself up to get hungrier and hungrier...and more carbs will NOT satisfy that monster.  The only way to keep that hunger turned off is to eat dense protein and low-glycemic carbs like non-starchy veggies.  No bread, no pasta, no rice, no sugar until you get this hunger back under control.   White carbs and sugar can also trigger acid build-up in your gut, which can mimic intense hunger.  

Another thing:  exercise isn't going to do crap for losing the amount of weight you want to lose.  Exercise will improve your overall fitness and tone your muscle but the fat loss game is won at the dinner table, my dear.  Hear what I'm saying - move that body and keep exercising but don't psych yourself into thinking that exercise will negate your crappy eating.  It won't.  

And at 4 months post-op there should be no more of this whining about "I'm trying to get my protein in".   Protein should be the FIRST thing that goes in your mouth at every meal and there's absolutely no reason that you shouldn't be hitting your protein goals - none.    

So, you wanted advice - here it is: 

1.  No more white carbs or sugar - you'll probably have to white-knuckle it the first few days.  You play with fire, you pay the price.  

2.  Protein is the first thing that goes in your mouth at every meal and/or snack

3.  Eat 3 meals a day and two snacks; spread these 3 hours apart

4.  Keep moving that body and work at increasing your fitness level 

5.  Drink 100 oz. of water a day 

If you do this faithfully for one week I promise you that the "hungry monster" will be tamed again and you will move off that month-long weight of 215.   

Just call me Tough Love Tracy 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/15/14 9:11 am - OH

(Thanks.  You saved me a ton of typing!)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mo Diggity
on 1/15/14 12:47 pm - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

AMAAAAZING answer !!!

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

cajungirl
on 1/16/14 1:12 am

Excellent, well thought out response Tracy.  Save this and post it often....not only on the sleeve board but other boards on OH can use this information.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

PetHairMagnet
on 1/16/14 10:03 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM Pacific Time, Tracy D. wrote:

I'm warning you right now, expect to get pummeled on here about eating this crap at 4 months out.  STOP EATING THAT **** NOW!   I say it with love and respect.   Now, this hunger may actually not be just in your head.  One of the reasons that you are feeling hungry is because you've awakened the carb monster by eating white carbs and sugar.  You have set yourself up to get hungrier and hungrier...and more carbs will NOT satisfy that monster.  The only way to keep that hunger turned off is to eat dense protein and low-glycemic carbs like non-starchy veggies.  No bread, no pasta, no rice, no sugar until you get this hunger back under control.   White carbs and sugar can also trigger acid build-up in your gut, which can mimic intense hunger.  

Another thing:  exercise isn't going to do crap for losing the amount of weight you want to lose.  Exercise will improve your overall fitness and tone your muscle but the fat loss game is won at the dinner table, my dear.  Hear what I'm saying - move that body and keep exercising but don't psych yourself into thinking that exercise will negate your crappy eating.  It won't.  

And at 4 months post-op there should be no more of this whining about "I'm trying to get my protein in".   Protein should be the FIRST thing that goes in your mouth at every meal and there's absolutely no reason that you shouldn't be hitting your protein goals - none.    

So, you wanted advice - here it is: 

1.  No more white carbs or sugar - you'll probably have to white-knuckle it the first few days.  You play with fire, you pay the price.  

2.  Protein is the first thing that goes in your mouth at every meal and/or snack

3.  Eat 3 meals a day and two snacks; spread these 3 hours apart

4.  Keep moving that body and work at increasing your fitness level 

5.  Drink 100 oz. of water a day 

If you do this faithfully for one week I promise you that the "hungry monster" will be tamed again and you will move off that month-long weight of 215.   

Just call me Tough Love Tracy 

I will add to this that drinking hot tea or coffee can be a huge help for you, too. I go through a box each of Lemon Zinger and Lemon Ginger teas about once a month between my husband and I. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

emelar
on 1/15/14 5:52 am - TX

What Tracy said.  Plus, take a PPI or acid reducer, because this "hungry even when I just ate" sounds like acid.  Otherwise, throw the junk out of the house, and get back into your protein-first eating habit.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/15/14 7:30 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If you can't stay away from bad things, keep them away from you. No junk food in the pantry or fridge, PERIOD. Stock your kitchen with healthy things to grab instead, so you eat your protein in before even THINKING about pizza; protein will keep you full longer than candy will. 

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Mary Gee
on 1/15/14 7:31 am

>

Chocolate and Pizza?  

Why not chicken, or chili, or a protein drink.  There are loads of recipes on the RECIPE FORUM.  Take the time and effort to make yourself something that is not only healthy but also delicious.

The strength has to come from within you -- Do it right, or do it wrong -- only you can do it.  We can say "get back on the wagon" a hundred times, but you're the one that has to take the first step in the right direction.  Maybe your post is the first step for you - you realize you're in trouble.  For your own sake, get your head on straight and do what you know you have to do.

I wish you success.

Still learning.  Currently in pre-op stage.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1470 views