What to expect on teh first visit

Steve S.
on 1/29/14 7:51 am - Hometown, IL
RNY on 03/17/14

I have my initial  appt with my doc on Monday.  What should I expect to happen.  Will there be a physical, blood work etc ?? 

ChangingMyLife13
on 1/29/14 10:30 am

The medical doctor I saw on the same day as my nutritionist just took my medical history and did an exam, just the usual listen to your lungs and heart, checked for edema in legs, felt my stomach while lying down.  The surgeon appt was simply a consultation, questions and answers from both of us.  I took away a requisition for blood work and my marching orders to get pulmonary and cardiac clearances and a recommendation ltr from my primary care physician.  Good luck!

jpiper0618
on 1/30/14 11:49 pm
RNY on 09/22/14

I just had my first visit, My surgeon met with me first, they took my vitals, she talked to me about what to expect a little bit, then i met with the dietician, it was the longest part of the appointment but very informational. She went over briefly the things i need to change (chewing my food, getting protein) before and after surgery, she set some goals for me to start now, like to chew my food into a paste, and i have been practicing since then, but it is not an easy habit to make. Try to to not eat or drink 30-60 minutes after eating, also hard i also drink when i eat, but again, im learning, and i told her i planned on joining the Local YMCA (which i did yesterday), and to track my food using an app or website (im still debating between MyFitnessPal and LOSEIT), she had me sign a contract saying i quit smoking for the rest of my life, which i quit the day after the seminar almost a month ago and havnt smoked since then, she went over the Pre Op testing i needed to get done, then she brought the surgery scheduler in and she went over the appointments with me, i needed to get an Ultrasound of GB/Liver, EKG, Chest Xray, Labwork, Cardiologist Clearance, Pulmonary Clearance, Psych Eval, Also the mandatory meetings and the mandated education. She set up dates for all the meetings and psych eval and my 2nd Pre op test. everything else i asked to have done closer to home. so you can ask if you are not close to the place your getting surgery done at.

In all honesty i was a nervous wreck going into that office. I came out and smiled the whole way home, thinking that possibly in 4-6 months i will be getting my surgery!

GOOD LUCK! and DONT WORRY!

Most Active