Transferin? Ferritin?

Jen 1959
on 1/29/14 9:58 pm - NH

What is the relation of transferrin and the TIBC lab, is transferrin part of the TIBC or is it a separate test from the TIBC?

I am seeing people having Ferritin, Iron, TIBC, transferrin and saturation tests?

do we need all these? 

Sheanie
on 1/30/14 8:59 am

Here is what I found upon googling "what is transferrin?":

Transferrin is the main protein in the blood that binds to iron and transports it throughout the body. Transferrin levels rise with iron deficiency and fall in cases of iron overload.

Normally, iron is absorbed from food and transported throughout the body by transferrin, which is produced by the liver. About 70% of the iron is transported to the bone marrow and incorporated into hemoglobin within red blood cells. The remainder is stored in the tissues as ferritin.

Yes, you need all those tests in order to get a total picture of your iron health.  For instance, all your iron markers can be within "normal" ranges, but if your FERRITIN is 9, you need immediate iron infusions.  If you have further questions regarding your iron, or if you think your questions are not being answered adequately by your surgeon, please see a hematologist.  That is their specialty, and they know their stuff.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

VSG on 06/12/13

Mine is out of whack. i'm in between tests to determine what is changing, if anything. Serum iron levels are normal but the values related to stored iron are high. I have switched to no-iron vitamins to see if it helps.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1546 views