lap-band or VSG ?

slimthug_72
on 1/31/14 12:35 pm

at a bariatric surgery crossroads i've only recently discovered the VSG proceedure had only heard about lap-band and up untill a month ago i was sure that was the path i would take but having second thoughts because i feel like every-one is pushing the VSG or GB. need helpfull advice who has done either .

Member Services
on 1/31/14 11:46 pm - Irvine, CA

Hi slimthug,

As you can imagine, this subject has been posted many times.  To view discussions on the subject we suggest you use our search feature (the little magnifiy glass to the left of MY OH).  Here is a link to our search results for you.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=lap+ba nd+vs+vsg&cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw&cof=FORID%3 A9

TexasTerritory
on 1/31/14 11:48 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
Love my sleeve! I thought I wanted a lap band but with only a little research, I decided upon the sleeve. It has been a very successful journey.

Sandy M.
on 2/1/14 12:52 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Having had both, I can only say...PLEASE DON'T GO WITH THE LAP BAND!  I had it for 7 years and was miserable throughout most of it.  I did lose weight; did very well as a matter of fact, but every time I entered a restaurant I had to know where the bathroom was in case my food came back up on me.  The lap band requires constant fills and unfills, and most docs don't cover the cost of those forever - mine did for 2 years, then it was $200 a pop.  And after 2 years, developed horrible reflux.

Finally discovered that the band had slipped, caused a hiatal hernia, and needed to be removed.  At the same time I had VSG done, and it does what the band promised; make me full after a small amount of food.  The band?  Never felt full, just felt "stuck", which means the food is still sitting in your esophagus and is in danger of being vomited up.

Totally your decision of course, but check out the lap band forum.  You'll find very little activity there...for a reason.  For most people it just doesn't work.

Disclaimer - there are people who have been successful with the band and had very few problems.  

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

poet_kelly
on 2/1/14 1:02 am - OH

The reason people seem to be pushing VSG and RNY is because the band has a very high rate of complications, often requiring another surgery to remove or replace the band.  Sometimes permanent damage is done to the stomach or other organs by the band.  In addition, many people with the band don't lose anywhere near the weight they want to use.  Some hospitals, including the Mayo Clinic, no longer do band surgeries because of the high rate of complications.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

slimthug_72
on 2/1/14 1:29 am

Thanks for the response I don't wanna sound paranoid I've heard the same through other sources just want to gather as much info in order to  make the best decisions for a healthy new lifestyle. Thanks again poet_kelly.

Gwen M.
on 2/1/14 1:30 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've been reading these forums daily for the past 4 months or so and while there is debate between VSG, RNY, and DS, it seems that people are unanimous about the lap-band being horrible.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Valerie G.
on 2/1/14 1:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

First of all, scratch off the LapBand.  It's causing more harm than good, and is only designed to stay in your body for 8 years.

Second, learn all you can about the VSG, GB, and DS.  They each work a little differently to accommodate the different physiological reasons we are obese..  You want to compare what you learn with what you know about yourself.  For example, I was a champion dieter, but yeilded little to no results.  I needed the metabolic changes that the DS offered more than I needed to eat less, and with that I was finally successful.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 2/1/14 1:55 am

Just to make things even more fun for you, there's a fourth procedure you should research, too. It's called the Duodenal Switch (DS), and it has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, AND the best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.

This is just my opinion, but I think anyone who would do well with the LapBand would do even better with the Sleeve (VSG.) Both are restriction-only procedures that limit the amount you can eat at one sitting, but the Sleeve is far more 'food friendly', in that you rarely have food intolerances. The Band is notorious for tolerating only 'slider' foods---usually high-carb, low-nutrutional soft foods that will just slide on through.

If restricting your portions is all the help you need from WLS, the Sleeve should be a wonderful choice. If, however, you struggle to lose even when keeping a tight rein on your intake, maybe you have metabolic problems that are keeping the weight on. In that case, you might do better with the RNY or the DS. Both will cause permanent, lifelong malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals. How much supplementation you'll never to take FOREVER will depend on what your lab results (which you'll need to get at least once a year, FOREVER) show.

The RNY will cause you to also malabsorb a small per centage of the calories you eat, for the first 18-24 months. Most people regain the ability to absorb 100% of the protein and carbs they eat, but will always malabsorb a small per centage of the fats they eat, around 30% for most.

The DS will cause permanent malabsorption of a significant per centage of the calories you eat---about 50% of protein, 40% of complex carbs, and 80% of fats. FOREVER. This is why the DS has such durable weight loss.

Don't get me wrong---no form of WLS can guarantee you'll lose 100% of your excess weight, or that you'll never regain. Any WLS can be eaten around, some more easily than others. You need to research them ALL, then choose the one that you think YOU can most easily live with for the rest of your life. For me, tossing back some pills 4 times a day is far easier than resisting tasty foods all day, every day. (*grin*)

Jost Dreams
on 2/1/14 3:12 am

Please veer away from the lapband.  It has a very high complication rate and I am one of them.  The first year with the band went pretty smoothly but yrs 4-5 were horrible.  I ended up having it removed via emergency surgery due to a slip while on a business trip.  The doctor said I was within days from death.

Many insurances now have a one insurance per lifetime clause so it is extremely important to pick the right surgery for your specific needs.  Do your research and find an excellent doctor.  I had to fight with insurance for 6 months and through 2 appeals before they finally approved my RNY.  I wish I would have made the right decision the first time.  Good luck and think wisely 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1494 views