Shin Splints

Deborah B.
on 2/1/14 3:50 am

Does anyone know how long we need to stretch before we walk? I've got knee pain a little hip pain and shin splints. Today they are a lot better but I'm a little afraid to go for my walk. Thank you 

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/14 4:23 am - NV
VSG on 11/04/13

I hate shin splints!  They happen when you suddenly increase your activity level.  Your muscle attachments are only as strong as they need to be based on your activity level.  When you suddenly increase your activity (particularly walking and running) the muscle fibers along your shin actually pull away from the bone causing pain.  The best prevention is a very gradual increase in activity and icing after activity.  I always get shin splints after I have been inactive for more than a month.  If you gradually increase your activity, your muscle attachments will strengthen with you.  Ice ice ice!

As far as other muscles, I warm up for ten minutes and then stretch my calves, hamstrings, and quads for 30 seconds each.

stonerose
on 2/1/14 11:10 am - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

I get these so easily when I haven't been walking much and I start again.  As a warm up, and when you have shin splints, keep pointing your toes up and down (i.e., towards the floor and then up as high as you can).  That will help the muscle along the shins warm up and stretch. I also would find something to step on with the ball of my foot (like a curb or a step) and lower and raise.  That's a good warm up. 

Make sure your shoes are laced snugly from the toebox to the top as well. 

Hope that helps - be well.  Icing can help the pain as you get better.

C

Dr. Kibwe Weaver, Kalamazoo, MI RNY 7/16/13 SW 233/CW 168.8/GW130

Grim_Traveller
on 2/1/14 11:56 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There have been a few studies recently that show stretching does nothing to prevent sports or exercise injuries. If all you are doing is walking, I really don't think stretching is necessary.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/1/14 2:05 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

What kind of shoes are you wearing? I used to get shin splints, but after getting sneakers with better support in them, and putting insoles with good heel padding in my regular shoes, I found that it helped a lot.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

PetHairMagnet
on 2/1/14 9:27 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

My walk IS my warm up before I run. I know that I suffered with leg pain from just walking until I went and had myself professionally fitted for the shoes that were best for my gait. Now....no issues at all!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Deborah B.
on 2/2/14 1:58 am

Thank you all for the replies!
This makes me so happy. I have no support where I am, live alone and don't know many people here so this is just awesome. 
Also, very helpful. I actually stopped walking because of the shin splints then it rained for three days.

Today I'm going to try again and will definitely take your suggestions here. 

Excited about trying again and thanks to your replies I feel more motivated!
I wish the best for all of you. I'm here to support who ever would like me to also. 

malunari9
on 2/2/14 2:13 am
VSG on 01/28/14

Its good to recognize that you need support and look for it because some people who need it and don't look are unsuccessful because of trying it alone! I hate shin splints it used to happen to me all the time,  the first time it happened I didn't even know what shin splints were! My nutritionist was the one who told me. Then she said to go slower, I said I am going slow. But I apparently wasnt because as soon as I slowed down more and just gradually increased my pace over time...the shin splints dissapeared! Yey! And before you know it I was walking 3 miles in 20 to 30 minutes. That for me was an amazing feeling. I just had my surgery and now I must restart all over but I will get to that point and past hopefully soon. :) Good Luck!

Most Active