breaking adictions

dancermom2_7
on 2/1/14 5:54 am, edited 2/1/14 6:00 am - OH

Hello my name is Stephania and I am addicted to potatoes. There I said it!! Admitting is the first step right? I mean after that, its all down hill? No! I know we all have our "go to" food, some is chocolate, some is sweets... mine .. is potatoes.. (gasp) I know. I know.. I am trying to deal with this addiction, but I dont know how.

So I am coming here, for help, encouragement, advice on other things to eat that compare- or just laugh with me... cause I mean really.. who says I am addicted to the potatoe! I love it for its versitily.. I mean you can boil it, ma**** fry it, bake it, stick in a stew.. did I forget to mention it taste good!

Sigh.. I need to have a potatoe funeral, but them back in the ground where they belong. So long my loves.. so long.

S~

HW 276 GW140  CW248

poet_kelly
on 2/1/14 6:41 am - OH

I think there is a difference between having a "go to" food that we like a lot and eat a lot and having an addiction.  If you believe you are addicted to potatoes (or anything else), I recommend seeking treatment.  Planning to have a potato binge and then just stop eating them probably won't be any more effective than it would be for an alcoholic to plan to get really really drunk one last time and then stop drinking all together.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dancermom2_7
on 2/1/14 10:17 am - OH
On February 1, 2014 at 2:41 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

I think there is a difference between having a "go to" food that we like a lot and eat a lot and having an addiction.  If you believe you are addicted to potatoes (or anything else), I recommend seeking treatment.  Planning to have a potato binge and then just stop eating them probably won't be any more effective than it would be for an alcoholic to plan to get really really drunk one last time and then stop drinking all together.

ps I dont think i said I was going to binge on potatoes? I said i was going to have a funeral... put them back in the ground.. forget about them...

HW 276 GW140  CW248

ReginaPhelange
on 2/1/14 6:44 am
RNY on 02/24/14

HAHAHA I have the same problem!  I LOVE THEM!!!!   

I am going to miss them.   

dancermom2_7
on 2/1/14 8:36 am - OH

thank you I am glad someone got my humor~

HW 276 GW140  CW248

mustlovepoodles
on 2/1/14 9:28 am
VSG on 12/31/13

My favorite food in the world is RICE. I love all kinds of rice. I never met a rice I didn't like.  When I was in Girl Scouts about 50 years ago we were working on our cooking badge. We each had to write an essay about our favorite food. While everyone else was writing about chocolate cake and snickerdoodles I was writing about rice. 

I'm 5 weeks postop and i wouldn't DARE try to eat rice.  I have had some small bits of potatoes without injury. Sometimes I use the potatoe as a "carrier" for the protein. But if  potatoes were my hot button food, I would NEVER use it to get my protein down. I'd use something else, like applesauce or yogurt.

I'm going to miss PF Chang's shrimp fried rice...

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

islandgirl_67
on 2/1/14 10:09 am - Canada

Man I wish I had the answer to this ... I would write a book "For Dummies" and be rich!  My "addiction" is bread ... and all I know for sure is that it has a domino effect for me ... it just gets balls rolling and juices flowing ... I'm 9 months out and bread now "sits very well with me.  The only thing that works for me is abstinence.  I pretend I am allergic to it ... like a person with a peanut allergy ... I could die if it gets on me or in my mouth ... and the more I stay away the less I crave.  But it's hard ... even the smell of it on my husbands breath drives me crazy ... and not in a good way ... *sigh* ... sleeve or sleeve ... somethings are just hard to handle ... potatoes, bread, crispy creams ... we all have our demons!  Good luck to you!

dancermom2_7
on 2/1/14 10:14 am - OH

thanks ladies.. just know i am not alone makes it much easier to bear. Thinking of you ladies too. I know I got this.. i think i am really going to  miss it.. but once i slid on those skinny jeans, "for skinny" people.. potatoes who? lol

S~

HW 276 GW140  CW248

Scribbler
on 2/1/14 5:03 pm

We all have our triggers. I think my worst trigger food is crackers. And I have a wheat intolerance! I still love 'em! The partner and I made a deal that we aren't even going to bring crackers of ANY kind into the house because I'll just eat the whole box. I'm not even capable of having a "cracker funeral" because I wouldn't eat myself sick on them, I would eat myself DEAD.

You may have to accept that potato is your heroin and just leave it off the menu if it could trigger a binge. You can live without potatoes; you can make your stews and soups without them; you can even substitute turnips in stew - I have done that and it works and MY FAMILY DIDN'T NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE, the big sillies. (Turnips have a lot fewer calories than potatoes.) Potatoes have been the downfall of many obese folk, and I'm sure you're not alone.

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/14 6:01 pm
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1292 views