8 days post op sleeve

beckysells
on 2/13/14 5:43 am, edited 2/13/14 5:44 am - Murfreesboro, TN
VSG on 02/06/14

I had my sleeve on the 6th.  I have obeyed everything that I was told to do since post op and i have not lost any weight.I dont know what I'm doing wrong.   Im starting to think I made a mistake, all the pain, money spent as a cash buyer, the time off work.  for Nothing

emelar
on 2/13/14 6:02 am - TX

What you're doing wrong is getting on the scale - stay off of it!  Not permanently, but give yourself a month off.  Your body is recovering from surgery and retaining fluid.  Many people come out of the hospital weighing more than when they went in because of fluid and inflammation.  It'll come off.  And then the weight loss will begin.

I know it's frustrating, but patience is your friend.  Stick with your plan and give yourself a chance.

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/14 6:45 am

Stay off of it! Please be patience. Stick on what your doing don't think that you're doing wrong.

Scribbler
on 2/13/14 6:58 am

I was sleeved on the 4th. I came out of the hospital heavier than I went in! And then it started to come off. Some people lose a whole lot right away -- others, it takes a little longer. Your body is going to do what it's going to do. Just concentrate on following your surgeon's instructions the first month or six weeks out, and don't stress about your weight. I have managed to lose a few pounds already, but I'm not freaking out if I don't see fast loss or even a gain over the course of a day or two. Our bodies' fluid balance fluctuates a little over time, especially if you are female; and that will affect the scale, but I don't think it's an accurate reflection of 'fat lost' until you've gone past 5 or 10 pounds in any direction.

Cunning_Pam
on 2/13/14 7:05 am
RNY on 12/18/13

All good advice so far. All I can add is, hang in there! It will happen. Stick with your doctor's plan, keep at it, and you will see the weight come off.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

cabin111
on 2/13/14 12:38 pm

You will be peeing out a lot of those IVs in the coming days.  Below is a copy and paste I put on here a lot.  Brian

Below is a copy and paste from DX...very knowledgeable man.  It might help.  He had said after WLS it is like decending stairs...

Still staying on-track calorie-wise? And the scale shows you stopping?Or Even Gaining?!?!?--Re-Post Unsolicitedadvice/info… -------------------------------------- Pull back from your ‘daily’ charting, and look at a weekly or even monthly. There are up and down spikes each day, But if you ‘graph’ the highest to the lowest, I’d bet there is still A downward slope over the course of the month. There’s an 8 to 10lb. volume of "wiggle room" due to water alone. And it comes into play a lot. This has to do with our bodies using glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, But it is stored in our muscles for quick energy – One pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, And the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, (Like when you drop down to your calorie intake) Your body turns first to stored glycogen, Which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, You also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it Voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of any diet. As you stay in caloric deficit, however, Your body starts to ‘realize’ that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue And burning fat for energy. But your body also ‘realizes’---- (by way of your liver releasing hormones signaling low Cal intake) ---That fat can't be used for short bursts of energy – Like, to outrun a saber-tooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, And rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, (Thus showing negative Calorie load overall) Your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while As you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored. Yes? The whole ‘weight-loss’ process is not a straight "Slide" down the scale. More like "Stair-Steps," (Down then forward, then down, then forward, etc... As your body cycles fat out of "deep storage" and through the Liver Into the muscles as Glycogen. The muscles and Liver can hold about a 3 weeks supply. This is why many people find that their "Stall" or "Plateau" Breaks when adding a bit of exercise And upping their water intake, or in the case of an "extreme exerciser," The total Calorie or Protein Intake, To signal the liver to let go of more Glycogen. Fear not, many people who are now enjoying life at a normal BMI Once had a few weeks or so of thinking- "...my weight loss has been awfully slow, has it stopped..."? Hope this helps some. You are doing Great! Keep it Up! Best Wishes-Mike Wazowski Dx

GingerJen
on 2/14/14 2:34 am
VSG on 03/07/14

Excellent post!!

37 y/o female 5'8" HW 355 consult 329 SW (3/7/2014)301 CW 168 goal 170

M1- 26 M2- 14 M3- 15 M4 -13 M5 -16 M6-12 M7-2 M8-5 M9-6 M10-8 M11-1 M12-5  M13-10 Goal reached 4/5/15 total lost 187 lbs total; 133 in the 13 months since surgery

sBob
on 2/15/14 6:11 am, edited 2/15/14 6:15 am

Don't worry about it. I had RNY on Feb 3rd, and yes, I too came home the same weight after my days in hospital. It has now been over a week and my swelling is still going down. And now my scale is showing a little bit of loss, but my clothes are certainly showing the progress. Please listen carefully to what everyone has already said. You are in recovery and carrying lots of extra fluid...etc. Be patient and kind to yourself, stay the course and it will all be fine. :)

And please don't go through the second-guessing game with yourself (although it is a very natural response). Remember why you chose to have the surgery, and it was for your health. I too am walking the same course and timeline as you, so if you need support, please post and everyone here will help you. :)

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1454 views