New & Getting Started

Ready4Living
on 2/15/14 8:36 am

Here I go again! On Monday my husband and I are going to Barix Clinic in Ypsilanti, super excited and nervous! Several years ago I was approved for the process and when it came down to it we lost our insurance. I'm praying I will get approval and the process just goes without too many issues.

I'm so ready for living life!

Member Services
on 2/15/14 1:37 pm - Irvine, CA

Congratulations!  Please keep us posted on your journey!

Cunning_Pam
on 2/15/14 10:07 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

Welcome to the forums! I hope everything goes well with your approval. What type of surgery are you planning to have, or are you still deciding that?

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Ready4Living
on 2/16/14 3:26 am

I am hoping for the RNY, I made the decision long ago that is what I wanted. I am a bit bummed right now, we are getting snow tomorrow at the times we are to be traveling down at this point we are not going now

Let life begin

Deborah B.
on 2/16/14 2:23 am

Best of luck to you!
Ask lots of questions. I had a sheet full of questions before I went. It helped a lot with the nervousness. 

10 yrs out and still glad I made the RNY choice.

Ready4Living
on 2/16/14 3:30 am

Thank you! Several years ago when we looked into this, we had did have tons of questions, my biggest fear now is all about complications. Knowing someone who lost the ability to absorb nutrients from food and nearly died I am a bit nervous. At this point we now do not plan to go tomorrow we are getting snow again, it is 2 hours one way with the weather who knows...very disappointed!

Let life begin

hipswishingvinegarball
on 2/16/14 11:30 am, edited 2/16/14 11:31 am

If you are looking at gastric bypass (RNY), then you will malabsorb NUTRIENTS for life, despite the fact that you will only malabsorb CALORIES for a year or two. YOU WILL BE MALABSORBING NUTRIENTS FROM FOOD FOR LIFE WITH GASTRIC BYPASS (or DS).

You need to make the commitment going in that you will be getting regular labs drawn,  and supplementing for LIFE. You also need to understand the labs, as too many people end up with some sort of malnutrition with their doctor telling them everything is fine. 

If you are worried about malabsorbing nutrients, you may want to research the VSG, aka sleeve (you should actually research and understand the RNY, DS and sleeve before starting this anyway). The sleeve leaves a smaller, but fully functioning stomach, without the malabsorbtion. It has about the same weight loss as the RNY, but without the need for heavy supplementation. RNY will also leave you unable to ever take NSAIDs for pain again and at risk of dumping and reactive hypoglycemia. You will have to take vitamins with the sleeve (way less than RNY or DS) and it isn't life threatening if you slack a bit with the sleeve. 

I can't recommend enough that you research the three main surgeries before proceeding.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1510 views