Pre-OP Q's

Amber Anderson
on 2/16/14 4:01 am - Loveland, CO

Hi,

my name is Amber and I am in the process of getting the Gastric Bypass.

I've Tried personal trainers, fitness programs, nutritionists for the last 7 years and it just hasn't worked. I come from a heavy family and have had 3 people in my family have it successful. Including my mom. This decision wasn't made lightly. I've been researching and learning about it and other options for the last 3 years, in January my doctor and I made the decision to go through with it. My struggles aren't without knowledge. A Big Mac has 540 calories, I need to maintain a 1200 caloric intake just to maintain the weight I have now. This is just what I've learned from all the people, trainers, coaches, and doctors I've talked to. I'm in support groups, I count my steps every day, I swim, and I eat. I've tried doctor regulated weight loss programs, I've done p90x, I've done xfit, I've had beach body coaches. Nothing has worked. I've done so much research I could Probably perform the surgery myself.

I am in Colorado and I currently have Medicaid. My Doctor has approved the surgery and is 100% on board.

I do not have any medical problems other than anxiety and depression.

My BP is great, sugars are always perfect, but morbidly obese. I am 5 foot 7 inches and weigh in at a hefty 318 pounds.

Being on medicaid it requires me to take a 6 month course before the surgery.

My first class is on Feb 27th, then on the 27th of the next 5 months. Anyone gone through this? I would like to know your experiences with the month prior to your surgery; did insurance hold up, did you follow the liquid diet, what types of protein powders do you recommend, anything to help make the time go by faster?

mollz007
on 2/16/14 9:50 am
VSG on 02/20/14

Welcome! I can't answer any of your insurance questions, but I am on day 4 of my pre op liquid diet and can give you some pointers. As far as powders go, I haven't found any that I like but I have found some ready to drink shakes I like. My favorite is. Ensure. There are several kinds so make sure you look for the high protein one.I also like muscle milk. I just ordered some syntax nectar from Amazon that I should get Tuesday, I have heard good things about that brand. Check out the diet and nutrition forum to read reviews. Also your nutritionist should have some suggestions on where to start. Good luck!

check out my blog!

mustlovepoodles
on 2/16/14 11:37 am
VSG on 12/31/13
On February 16, 2014 at 5:50 PM Pacific Time, mollz007 wrote:

Welcome! I can't answer any of your insurance questions, but I am on day 4 of my pre op liquid diet and can give you some pointers. As far as powders go, I haven't found any that I like but I have found some ready to drink shakes I like. My favorite is. Ensure. There are several kinds so make sure you look for the high protein one.I also like muscle milk. I just ordered some syntax nectar from Amazon that I should get Tuesday, I have heard good things about that brand. Check out the diet and nutrition forum to read reviews. Also your nutritionist should have some suggestions on where to start. Good luck!

Love, love, love Syntrax Nectars!  I drink Fuzzy Navel just about every morning. It's a peachy-orange drink, kind of like light orange juice. I drink pink grapefruit in the afternoon.

At first I really didn't like them. It had a strong smell and protein taste.  Then someone told me to make it in a 16 ounce coffee go-cup, so the opening is small and I won't smell it too much.  Then I discovered that, for me, the best way to make it is use 3/4 scoop to 12 ounces water. Shake and refrigerate.  Then after an hour or so, try it and see if it's the right concentration.  Add a little water, if needed, and some crushed ice. Yummy!

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

mollz007
on 2/16/14 12:39 pm
VSG on 02/20/14

Thanks for the tip! I think I ordered vanilla but I want to try all the flavors! I will remember that tip for sure! I am excited to get it!

check out my blog!

Amber Anderson
on 2/17/14 6:25 am - Loveland, CO

Do you have the website you ordered from? I purchased this book in hopes of being able to tolerate the drinks.

The Bariatric Foodie Guide to Perfect Protein Shakes (Volume 1)

Massie, Ms Nikki L I cant wait to try out some recipes.
Amber Anderson
on 2/17/14 6:19 am - Loveland, CO

Thank you for replying. I love Ensure, I didn't know I could drink that! That makes this a lot better.

AnneGG
on 2/16/14 10:19 am

Hi, Amber!

I had to do a 6 month course of weight loss and tests by lots of different doctors, and 2 weeks of Optifast pre-op. But each surgeon's programs are different, as are the insurance requirements.

I'm glad you have done so much research! That's a very good place to start!

I will caution you, though, and that is to say that post-op is going to require as much work as you have done pre-op with diet and exercise, with the addition of daily vitamins. The weight loss happens easily the first year or so, and then things get hard again. I find maintenance now as hard as I did managing myself pre-op.

But, oh, the grace of the weight loss and my small tummy now! I am very very grateful.

Check out the different areas of this site- I think you will find it to be helpful.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Amber Anderson
on 2/17/14 6:21 am - Loveland, CO

Anne how easy is it to gain weight back?

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1351 views