Back after 5 years

closure
on 2/16/14 1:33 pm - PA

Wow does this place look different! 5 years ago I was in the process of getting RNY. I went through all the hoops and had a surgery date only to have it postponed right before. I backed out for good after that and thought I would never look back. I lost over 70 lbs on my own back then and over the past couple of years I've been gaining again. I'm starting to get close to my highest weight ever and I decided tonight to start the process for WLS again. I always wanted the VSG, but I don't believe it was offered here at that time and now they offer it and I think I will be more comfortable planning for that than the RNY. I have to meet with my former surgeon again and start the weight loss visits, but I wanted to come here and introduce myself.

I'm a 30 something yr old married female. My husband is considering the WLS also. I'm an event planner who hasn't been able to work due to health. I love talking weddings and parties. I'm a little crafty and work on things here and there to distract myself from stress.

When I was here before the forums were so helpful and everyone was very supportive which is why this was my first stop tonight. Tomorrow I make the calls to the doctors and start this journey.

Teri Turner
on 2/16/14 3:40 pm - WA

Welcome back, then!  I'm on the VSG forum and will be looking for you. 

I was here back in 2006 before my band.  Horrific experience.   I came back in November because I finally had insurance for revision to sleeve. 

closure
on 2/16/14 8:15 pm - PA

Thank you for the welcome! I look forward to getting to know people here again.

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/14 8:43 pm
closure
on 2/16/14 10:05 pm - PA

My husband had his first appointment with a surgeon, which happened to be my surgeon from before, so he's on the track to starting things. He also went to all of my appointments and support groups when I almost had surgery before so he's had an inside view of things. If we both do the surgery I don't know who would go first, but it will be nice to have someone to help with recovery who has been there so I think we'll be a great support system for each other.

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/14 10:24 pm
closure
on 2/16/14 11:04 pm - PA

First time around I was set up for RNY, but I was interested in the VSG. They didn't offer that at the time so now that they do that's the one I'm definitely going to try for, I just want to talk to the surgeon obviously and double check that he's okay with it. My husband isn't sure yet, he's got another meeting with the surgeon coming up and they'll talk about it more then.

MsBatt
on 2/16/14 11:55 pm

The long-term results are about the same between the RNY and the VSG, and, in my opinion, keeping your pylorus is a huge advantage. For one thing, you'll still be able to take NSAIDs, and I find that the older I get the more I need them.

While you're researching, you should also look into the DS (duodenal switch). It has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY. Like the RNY, it causes permanent malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals, but unlike the RNY, it also causes permanent malabsorption of a significant per centage of the calories you eat. This gives the DS the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, plus the best stats on resolving or preventing diabetes and high cholesterol, plus the most liberal post-op eating plan.

Only you can decide which form of WLS is right for you, but you owe it to yourself to understand ALL your options. I'm sure *someone* will be along in a bit to tell you how horrible the DS is, but it won't be someone who actually HAS one. (And I think you're smart enough to do your own research and make up your own mind. *grin*)

closure
on 2/17/14 8:40 am - PA

Thanks for the reply. I've done soooo much research. I did research 5 years ago and every so often over the years I've looked at the surgery options again. As long as my surgeon is okay with it I'm pretty sure VSG is for me. I'll leave the final decision up to him based on his experience and any test results I have, but VSG is what I'm interested in.

Mary Catherine
on 2/16/14 9:39 pm

I think that going through the weight loss and regain on your own was a positive experience in many ways.  It shows that you have the discipline to loss the weight even without a surgical tool.  Keeping the weight off is easier with the surgery. 

In my case, I have no hunger and a very reduced capacity for the amount of food that I am able to eat.  I hope to see more of you and to watch your progress as you go through this journey.

In the long run, the tool is not so much about letting you lose weight as it is about helping to maintain what was lost. 

Most Active