WHERE TO START

pipersmommy
on 2/23/14 3:58 am - massillon, OH

Hello My name is Angela I am 34 years old I live in Massillon Ohio. I have been looking into and researching WLS specifically the RNY for a very long time. I am very over whelmed with where to start? I have Ohio Medicaid as my primary insurance and I DO meet the qualifications Medicaid requires for the surgery. I am 5'5 and about 550 Lbs I have a couple of the acceptable diseases thats makes me a good candidate for surgery. I just was wondering if anyone has medicaid and had the surgery could point me in the right direction! Where to start? A surgeon who accepts me insurance? just a helping hand PLEASE! I am willing to go ANYWHERE in Ohio to get help! I am putting myself out here and feel like this is my first very brave step! I have never been able to share with anyone my weight issues or my desire for this surgery! I know someone out there can sympathize and help me. Thanks

AKI14
on 2/23/14 7:06 am

I don't have medicaid, but what I did was call my insurance company. I asked them to send me a list of surgeons that they work with as well as documentation with the requirements that I must meet to have the surgery. 

White Dove
on 2/23/14 9:04 am - Warren, OH

Hi Angela,

Congratulations on taking this step.  I recommend you contact St. Vincent Charity Medical Center in Cleveland.  They have been doing weight loss surgery for many years and can give you some good advise.  I am sure they will work with your insurance.  Let us know how this goes.

MsBatt
on 2/24/14 1:28 am
PetHairMagnet
on 2/24/14 5:25 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 23, 2014 at 11:58 AM Pacific Time, pipersmommy wrote:

Hello My name is Angela I am 34 years old I live in Massillon Ohio. I have been looking into and researching WLS specifically the RNY for a very long time. I am very over whelmed with where to start? I have Ohio Medicaid as my primary insurance and I DO meet the qualifications Medicaid requires for the surgery. I am 5'5 and about 550 Lbs I have a couple of the acceptable diseases thats makes me a good candidate for surgery. I just was wondering if anyone has medicaid and had the surgery could point me in the right direction! Where to start? A surgeon who accepts me insurance? just a helping hand PLEASE! I am willing to go ANYWHERE in Ohio to get help! I am putting myself out here and feel like this is my first very brave step! I have never been able to share with anyone my weight issues or my desire for this surgery! I know someone out there can sympathize and help me. Thanks

I don't live in Ohio and have never had Medicaid, so take all I am about to say with that in mind.

First, you may be too large for many surgeons. I have read posts here where people had to get under 500 or more for surgery. So be prepared for that.

Then I have seen more than one person saying there was no doctor who would take the Medicaid and were looking at other states and were advised to be sure that they had coverage out of state and so forth.

I have no idea what the qualifications are, but what the insurance requires and what the surgeon requires can be different. So be prepared for that.

My advice is to get on the website for OH Medicaid and find providers. If your system does not work like that, then start calling and ask if they take Medicaid. Then you'll need to learn what their process is for accepting you into their program.

Good luck to you!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/24/14 6:56 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Hi Angela!

I don't know anything about Medicaid, but I did some googling and found a list of medicare-approved hospitals for bariatric surgery. You can sort by state, and it looks like there are lots in Ohio:

http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-General-Information/Med icareApprovedFacilitie/Bariatric-Surgery.html

It looks like you're near Akron, and Akron General is on that list. I checked out their website for the bariatric department (you can find it here), and it looks like they have a free information session-- the site has information about how to sign up. That's a great place to start! When I went to the info session run by my surgeon, I got to meet the doctor, get an overview of the procedures offered, and chat with some of the office staff. They had some basic information about insurance requirements (the insurance coordinator lady was there and she was super knowledgeable), and it was a really good way to get started.

If for some reason the doctor(s) there don't take your insurance, I bet the people at the info session can help you find someone who does.

Way to go on getting started! You can do this! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Scribbler
on 2/24/14 10:37 am

My surgery was performed by Dr. Donovan Teel in Dayton, Ohio. He is a top-rate surgeon, and one of his specialities is laparoscopic DS. You would of course have to contact his office to see if you are a candidate for this surgery. If you would like ANY other information about him, feel free to send me a PM, I do recommend this surgeon. Unfortunately, I know nothing of Medicaid, so you would have to speak with his insurance rep with your insurance payment questions.

Most Active