NSAIDs

Firefly22
on 2/21/14 10:32 am - East Greenville, PA

Why are NSAIDs taboo with rny. Excederin is my go to med for chronic migraines   Thx everyone 

jaifra78
on 2/21/14 10:44 am
RNY on 04/16/14

Excedrin is not an NSAID so your good :)

Firefly22
on 2/21/14 10:50 am - East Greenville, PA

It has aspirin in it.  I think aspirin is a NSAID 

poet_kelly
on 2/21/14 10:59 am - OH

Yes, aspirin is an NSAID.

The reason is because NSAIDS can cause ulcers.  They can cause ulcers in anyone, not just RNY patients.  However,, ulcers are particularly problematic in RNY patients because we can get ulcers in our blind stomach.  Those are hard to diagnosed, because they can't scope your blind stomach - the only way to know for sure there is an ulcer in there would be to do surgery to look.  It is also hard to treat ulcers in there because meds like carafate, which is a liquid med used to coat the stomach and help treat ulcers, can't be used for ulcers in the blind stomach because nothing you take by mouth goes in there.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sweetish
on 2/22/14 7:33 am
RNY on 12/12/14

I have osteoarthritis-I am choosing RNY.  I am just curious, how do they treat an ulcer in your blind stomach after RNY?  My surgeon thinks RNY would be a better choice for me because I have GERD.

jaifra78
on 2/21/14 12:24 pm
RNY on 04/16/14

oh yea sorry about that

jaifra78
on 2/21/14 12:25 pm
RNY on 04/16/14
Valerie G.
on 2/22/14 7:51 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Aspirin is an NSAID - so yeah, NO-GO

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

JenniPenny
on 2/22/14 3:04 am - MN

Nsaids aren't taboo with all RNY patients. It depends on the doctors. My surgeon allows Advil or other nsaids for those that really need them - some people have chronic pain with

inflammation and need it to get through the day. His rules are only on a full stomach, no history or ulcers and for short periods of time only (after dental work, sports injury, etc.) Some of us

need the properties that an Nsaid can give and we're fine. I've been taking advil off and on for 12 yrs,(Bypassed 13 yrs ago). I also had an ulcer 7 yrs ago (not nsaid related) and once it

healed I was given the ok to take Advil again if needed. I have arthritis now and with the cold it is very painful. I can take Advil, again with food, and it helps me. My doc recommends gel

forms of Advil or Motrin and many docs have lifted their restriction of nsaids when gelcaps came out. Better on our pouch if that's a concern. My doctor has me on a low dose aspirin every day

and that's ok with my surgeon also. Check with your doc and decide what works for you. There isn't ONE rule for every post op. There are other options and we have to find out what works

best for us.

Jen 13 yrs post op RNY

Sweetish
on 2/22/14 7:34 am
RNY on 12/12/14

Just curious, how did they find out you had an ulcer?

Most Active