HIMSS conference food question

VSG on 06/12/13

I'm going to the HIMSS conference this week - a big megaconvention for the healthcare industry - and I'm researching onsite food options to assist in my planning. So far, I have stumbled across a lunch option onsite for $23 per meal. Smart options for me there are salads and the roasted meat of the day but that is about all. Add to that my kid-sized stomach and I'm saying Not for $23...

Has anyone been to HIMSS in the past who can offer insights into the typical food scene, or has anyone been to the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando for another conference who can give me the lay of the land? I see on the convention center's website that the venue has food courts and dining options but I can't see details on restaurants and I wonder if there is anything sleeve friendly there. I'm also assuming, based on what I see on the maps that there is no food that is walkable.

This leaves me with the option of stopping by a grocery store on the way to our hotel to stock up on my usual go-to's of parmesan cheese and canned chicken. Boring, but it'll get me through.

Thanks,

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

JenniPenny
on 2/22/14 2:58 am - MN

I always brought my own food as a back up whenever I traveled out of town or to seminars where I didn't know the menu. Many "healthy" foods offered have high fat or

oil content. Found out the hard way a salad with chicken on top should be fine. But when the chicken is deep fried and I'm sitting with it in front of me at a meeting I'm kind

of stuck. Cheese sticks and beef jerky are still my go to snacks/meals. Yogurt keeps fairly well, cottage cheese and whatever else you can get in single size servings. Frozen

cheesesticks in your purse in the morning will be thawed out and still cold by lunch time. Peanut butter crackers are also a good purse item. good luck. Hope you find something you

can eat that won't cost an arm and a leg. With our small capacity it's stupid to buy full priced meals if we can't get it all in.

Jen 13 yrs post op rNY

VSG on 06/12/13

Thanks! I am thinking about this the same way you are. I will take protein powder and a shaker to make breakfast, as usual, plus some quest bars, then grab yogurt, nuts, canned chicken and cheese at a grocery to get myself thru the day. Those are all my go-to's. freezing them is a brilliant idea.  I figure I can splurge a little n dinner in the evenings, but to your point, dining out is a bit of a waste any more!

laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!