Hair Loss Issues?

DeDication
on 2/22/14 3:29 am

LOL!

Hey All, I have a huge concern and for the longest time I have ignored it because if it is going to happen there is nothing I can do to stop it but I just want some clarity from all the awesome post opt folks, please!

I have been told from Dr's( of course ) as well as my support group that hair loss is a possibility around 5 moths out after surgery. Has this happened to anyone? How greatly were you affected from the hair loss? When abouts did your hair stop falling out and start growing back?

I myself already have hair issues.. From medications and different levels in my body not being where they should be. It is very very very thin on top and around my crown area but towards the lower part of the back of my head is full and pretty thick however I would be devastated to lose any more however that is why we have access to wigs etc. I would greatly appreciate any insight and advice!

Thank you very much and best of luck to you all!!

SURGERY IS 3.03.2014!!

Valerie G.
on 2/22/14 7:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The condition is called Telogen Effluvium, and occurs after one of several traumatic events to the body such as child birth or surgery.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

DeDication
on 2/22/14 9:54 am

Thank you for giving me a little bit of insight on the condition. I understand this however I also understand not everyone experiences this condition as well that is why I am asking such questions, I need a bit more insight from the folks here who have experienced this condition and those who have not as well.

Thank you once again for your help Valerie G!

christinamudd
on 2/22/14 12:43 pm

My mom experienced (to me) EXTREMELY severe hair loss.  She had very thick hair and her hair became EXTREMELY fine.  No bald spots or anything but extremely noticeable thinning and hair loss.  She was told at the time that it was because she needed to eat more protein.  I have no idea the accuracy of that statement.  But now, her hair is still a bit thinner but it has grown back in.  However, it is still short and does not grow much past her shoulders.  My mom is turning 54 this year.  So I am not sure if you are younger if you are able to rebound better from this?  But now, i think her hair is okay and she lost about 120 lbs.  To me it's worth it.  

HW: 407  CW: 359 - RNY 02/18/15

sandy80
on 2/22/14 9:20 pm

I'm very concerned about this happening after surgery. After being very sick for years, not getting ready for work everyday for years I had no clue I'd lost so much hair. Went for a haircut & my stylist was shocked, she said your hair is so thin w/her mouth dropped open. Then I started looking and went into shock. I searched and searched, finally told about Biotin. In 2 weeks it stopped the hair loss & the body came back. 10,000mg Puritan's Pride. The highest mg's only on line. I've wasted my little money on so many wigs I should have returned. Researched the med's, I'd been on for years & 2 caused hair loss. Off them for years but hair  didn't come back. Taking Biotin keeps what I have left & makes it grow fast "everywhere" but it never comes back. As for wigs, horrible. They are hot, itch and I need large which means even less to choose from. I'm 55 now, so I'm still hot even on hormone's. My hair was beautiful. Now it's like wire in front. Don't want to go anywhere because of my hair. It's devastating. If you have the right kind of hair, you can get a wig piece that you pull your own hair though just for the top. Best to invest in the best wig you can find, instead of many around $40 like I did. Make sure you like it before you cut the tags, and check the return policy before buying.

DeDication
on 2/24/14 1:31 am

Sandy, thank you for sharing! I currently wear wigs due to my hair issues--nothing new to me-- I invest in human hair wigs and there are a few trade offs to lower prices, of course. I do get hot at times from wearing them but I got used to it because lord knows I will NOT go out in public with my natural hair. I don't get the itching effects. I wish I still had my hair when it was super thick and natually curly-- I always complained about it too and as a child I tried so many ways to straighten it but it just didn't work and look at me now... Either way-- I have a way. :-)

DeDication
on 2/24/14 1:26 am

I'm sorry to hear, I hope that doesn't take away from all the great success she has had. I just want to know what to expect since I have never experienced this condition and already having super thin hair-- just a bit upsetting. I will do my best to keep my protein up at all times, biotin was something I was taking before at 5,000 and I did see an improvement after some time taking it but now I have to stop until after surgery. I plan on getting the highest dosage available that my body will absorbe ( hopefully ). Thank you so much for sharing your Mother's story!

Valerie G.
on 2/22/14 8:55 pm, edited 2/22/14 8:55 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent or predict it from happening.  Protein, Biotin and other vitamins will give nourishment to the new hair emerging, but nothing to the old hair about to shed.  The fancy shampoos go down the drain with the hair.  No matter what you do, eat, or put o your hair, telogen effluvium will start around 3-5 months post op and will last 2-3 months.  It's the luck of the draw, and the meds you're on may also come into play.  The same thing happened to me after I had my son via c-section, so I kind of had my own expectations, and I pretty much got the same.  Nobody noticed but me and the shower drain.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Dubs
on 2/28/14 8:42 am - Minneapolis, MN

Valarie, Thanks for the response. I saw my nutritionist yesterday and she did agree I could start taking Biotin again, 1,000mcg a day. I cannot cover the top of my head now and the back opens up with rivers of scalp showing. I am figuring that at 3 to 5 months I will need a hair piece or a wig. I have long hair and I had been hiding my thinning somewhat with it pulled up in the back and the tail falling in curls that hide the crown then using DermaMatch in the front and top to make it look thicker. If I thin any more these measure will not work. I am only 2 month out so I sure am not looking forward to a greater thinning in the coming months.  At 67, I don't grow hair as fast or as thick as I did when I was even 60. Thank God for hats!

DUBS, Surgery 12/28/2014.  My success comes from diligence and support. 

Dubs
on 2/22/14 2:24 pm - Minneapolis, MN

The hair loss among the members of my support group has been minimum. We are set for 60 - 80 grams of protein day. This will help with loss. Too little protein and you can count on some hair loss. Our nurse and others say that the worse is around the 5th - 6th month. Those who had some thinning in the top got it back. The body has many adjustments to make. Get your protein powder and milk in the house before you go to surgery. I started a 10 days protein shake diet before surgery and that got me use to and liking my shakes. The weight loss before and after my surgery seems miraculous.

DUBS, Surgery 12/28/2014.  My success comes from diligence and support. 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1480 views