dizzy/lightheaded - any ideas?

Tins
on 2/23/14 7:47 am

I'm almost 3 months post surgery (bypass) and have been feeling lightheaded/dizzy for the past few days. Woke up early this morning and it felt like I had the spins. I'm trying to increase my fluid intake which is admittedly too low - any other ideas about what might be causing this? 

poet_kelly
on 2/23/14 9:55 am - OH

Probably low blood pressure, possibly low blood sugar.  If you're not getting enough fluids, I'd start by increasing your fluid intake and see if that helps.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

madetaca
on 2/23/14 10:40 am - Canada
RNY on 01/07/14

I've been having the same issue.  Since I was diabetic pre-op (no longer, yay!), the first thing I thought was that my sugars were low, but kept checking and they were ok.  Went to the doc and it was my blood pressure.  Even at my heaviest, my blood pressure was normal, so now, with the huge weight loss, it's low.  You can confirm this by checking your pressure.  If it's low, you can make sure not only that increase your fluid intake, but also to increase your sodium levels.  Your body will adjust in time, but in the meantime, try not to drive, go slowly when going from lying down or sitting to standing up, and watch your step when there are stairs.

Scribbler
on 2/23/14 10:50 am

Thank you. This helps. I'll make sure I get lots of fluids - I have blacked out 3 times, fallen hard once, and nearly blacked out more than that! I'm hitting goal, but maybe I need to hit goal earlier in the day.

My BP check was 2 days ago and it was smack dab in the middle of normal range, so it's not too low or unhealthy.

Do you know if the body has trouble compensating when blood pressure drops? I've been having this for about 5 days now, got checked out, and I'm normal. It's getting frustrating.

madetaca
on 2/23/14 10:59 am - Canada
RNY on 01/07/14

BP varies during the day.  Mornings it's higher, and I find that early evenings mine drops --I just feel like sleeping.  It wasn't too low, but it can have momentary drops.  If it were just dehydration, you'd feel shaky, but if it's either low blood sugar or low blood pressure (very similar symptoms, you need to rule out checking), you can feel dizzy, light-headed, and black out.  Not fun, but it's part of the adjustment your body has to make.  I'm having to be careful with exercise.  I'm just 1.5 month post-op, so I'm just walking, but I find that when I walk a bit more than just a couple of blocks, I get dizzy.  It goes away fast, but feeling dizzy on the stairs or driving could be a huge issue.

I used to have low blood pressure when I was younger and thinner, and it was not an issue.  The body just takes it as a "normal" pressure once it's used to it.

Scribbler
on 2/23/14 11:09 am

Thanks for your advice. I think I can rule out dehydration, then. Shakiness isn't a symptom. So it could be blood sugar being a bit low, since at this stage we don't eat a lot, or blood pressure momentarily dropping, which is my primary suspicion even though the doctor checked me out and said I was fine.

I think I'm going back in to the doctor this week. I'll have them check my blood sugar while I'm there. Blacking out is dangerous and I don't want to hurt myself. For now, I'll be sure to get up slowly after sitting a while because that seems to be when it happens the most.

When I was young and thin, my BP ran 90/40. That was my normal. It went higher of course, when I got obese and I was put on meds for it (which I'm still taking).

madetaca
on 2/23/14 11:12 am - Canada
RNY on 01/07/14

Sure, go to the doc.  It might be time to put you off the meds.  I was on insulin AND metformin for my diabetes before the op, but I'm off everything now and there's not a hint of diabetes in me. 

Take this as a sign of being healthier  (but stay safe).

White Dove
on 2/23/14 12:32 pm - Warren, OH

At about three months out that started happening to me.  One of the vets told me that it is because the body is used to having enough blood pressure for a heavier person.  After the quick weight loss, the heart does not need to pump so hard anymore and slows down.

When we lie down or sit down for a while the blood pools in the lower legs.  Then when we stand up it does not have time to get moving again up to our head.  So there is that lightheaded moment on standing while the pump starts working to get the blood back up to our head.

Her solution was for me to pump my legs a few times before standing up.  Just up and down a few times like riding a bicycle starts the blood flowing again.  I did what she told me and had no more dizzy spells.  After a few weeks, my body seemed to adjust and I did not have to do that anymore.

VSG on 06/12/13

I had a terrible time with lightheadedness for a while when I would change positions. My PCP diagnosed me with postural hypotension, told me to up my salt intake, stay hydrated, and be careful when I change positions.

My surgeon told me this is common because our blood vessels are still our old size and they're flabby now. The heart has to work much harder than usual to pump the blood from the legs (where it goes when we stand due to gravity) back up to our brains, and so there is a delay.

If you are having spins when you are still, you may want to be evaluated for an inner ear infection/vertigo. Mine was occurring when I changed from lying down to sitting or standing, and sometimes from sitting to standing.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

christinamudd
on 2/23/14 1:07 pm

All due respect...if you've literally blacked out multiple times and hit yourself causing yourself injury...why on god's green earth dont you go to the ER or at least the doctor?! This surgery is all about taking care of yourself!  Please get this checked out and see what can be done!  I know being dehydrated can definitely cause low blood pressure.  Please be careful!!!  Hope you feel better!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1377 views