thoughts/imput??? please

MKing214
on 2/24/14 7:45 am - omaha, NE

Hi all. tmrw is my 3rd weigh in for my 6 mon diet for ins. im excited that half way through but nervous because my weight loss is minimal. for example since last month im only down 5 lbs. i know any loss is good and the more i xan get off before surgery the better. what i

m wondering is does anyone know if tthe ins co expects you to loose a certain amount? will these

MKing214
on 2/24/14 7:48 am - omaha, NE

sorry got cut off..will the ins co have issues with minimal loss?? did anyone else have min loss? i just am worried and any help imput and thoughts wld be appreciated. thanks

sanjali23
on 2/24/14 11:02 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

I gained during my pre op and the insurance didn't care. I was sleeved on 2/12. My insurance just wanted 6 months documentation and I have found that it is usually the doctor's practice that require weight loss not the insurance company but all are different

Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get. ”

— Dave Gardner

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/24/14 8:15 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It seems to vary a lot between insurance companies. Mine (BCBS Arizona) didn't care, they just wanted the doctor to check off that I'd done it. Others here have had all sorts of experiences, I've seen a required % lost in order to get approval or things like that.

The best way to check is to call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card and ask. Or if you can get a copy of your benefit book (check online, or see if you can get one from your HR department), it might be in there. Best to get it straight from the people making the approval decision!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

SunnyGal14
on 2/24/14 8:30 am
VSG on 08/06/14

My insurance doesn't have a specific weight loss requirement during the pre op, highmark bcbs.  Every plan and insurance company is different from my understanding. 

Good luck!

Vsg on 8/6/14  5'8" HW 266 SW 243 CW 169 GW 155. 

Racewalker48
on 2/24/14 10:36 am
RNY on 02/17/14

Hi,

My insurance company didn't have a minimum, only documentation that I had tried/failed at weight loss attempts.  Ins is United Healthcare.  Agree with previous posters, ins requirements vary from company to company and from plan to plan within the same company. 

Scribbler
on 2/24/14 11:13 am

My insurance (UHC) didn't care if I lost any weight prior to surgery. Policies differ. I will say this, though... the more you're able to lose pre-op, the more you're going to shrink your liver... the better nourished you are, the more exercise you get, the safer your surgery is going to be. Speaking from personal experience here! Even if WL is only a couple of pounds, that gets you closer to your goal! Hang in there!  :)

~~ VSG February 4, 2014 ~~ 30lb. lost since surgery ~~
~~ you will never regret not eating something ~~
~~if you're light enough, you just might be able to fly~~
~~nothing tastes as good as skinny feels~~
HW: 303 || SW: 255 || CW: 225 || GW: 120 || UGW: 105

MKing214
on 2/24/14 11:28 am - omaha, NE

thank you very much for the feed back. i have uhc choice plus ( just fyi) ill call them tmrw and see if they require a certain amt of weight loss. this has been a very stressful process so far, but so looking forward to the end result. i read ppls stories and its so encouraging. like everyone else weight is and always is a struggle . its nice to know your never alone. r alone

christinamudd
on 2/24/14 3:44 pm

I have health net HMO and had no weight record requirements.  I solely needed to do some pre-surgical auth "homework" which was completed in about a week.  

A. Kondrlik
on 2/27/14 8:58 am
VSG on 01/24/13

My insurance company didn' t have any requirements, but my surgeon did. 

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Most Active