would death be easier?

truekarma
on 2/24/14 9:39 pm

I just finished a 14 day battle in the hospital for cellulitis, once i was ready to be released i was told i would get a hospital bed and in home nurses .

To my shock when i got home i found that i could no longer bend either of my knees, in essence my lower half feels like its not even mines.....im so scared ive been sitting on the floor in my living room trying to move them, my friends that i stay with are frustrated with me and im seriously wondering if death would be easier..

Mike67
on 2/24/14 10:52 pm - Hamburg, NJ

Death... If you mean taking your own life. That's never easier. Maybe easier for you, but never on friends or family you leave behind. And if your friends are frustrated with you and not understanding your issues, Then they aren't your friends.!!. Tell them to get over themselves and try and understand WTF you are going through and help the situation and not make it any worse for you!! People **** me off that act so ignorant!! Keep your head up and work through your issues.

Kate -True Brit
on 2/24/14 11:10 pm - UK

You need professional help. I am not American so don't know how your systems work but however they do, you need more than just friends. If you were in the UK, I would be telling you to phone your family doctor to get him/her to mobilise  the necessary home help. Alternatively, you could phone the hospital as it sounds as if they discharged you too early. 

But I would also be telling you to phone the Samaritans. I was once told that in the US, there is a similar organisation to the British Samaritans but they cannot act in the same ways ours can because they are not legally allowed to just listen, they have to act. That may be totally untrue! But I was given that as a reason why the UK Samaritans get so many e mail contacts from the US. You can contact them at [email protected].. They will listen to you, reply to you but never tell you what you do or judge you. 

Get help! There is help out there for you.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Mary Gee
on 2/24/14 11:48 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I notice this isn't the first time you've mentioned death being easier.  But it's not.  You got many suggestions in response to your first post.  There is help for you, but you have to take action to get the help.  If your PCP is not helping you, get another one.  Have you contacted a Bariatric Center?  I'm sure they would have recommendations for you.  If you have to contact a second to get answers, do so.  

I don't weigh as much as you do - my highest weight was 385.  I do have mobility issues - but not to your extent. I've been very depressed - but "death being easier" never entered my mind.  You are the only one responsible for your body - and it's up to you to take steps to get healthy.  There is help available for your medical issues.  Take charge.  Make the calls.  

I'm sure with your medical issues you could get a home health aid.  That person probably could either cook meals for you or do shopping for you.  Have him/her cook/buy healthy foods.  You don't have to starve yourself - meals can be "bulked up" by adding lots of veggies.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Member Services
on 2/25/14 12:08 am - Irvine, CA

We were notified about your post by very concerned board members.  We'd like to encourage you to seek out help as soon as possible.  Often times feelings like this are temporary, but sometimes someone needs a professional to help them deal with their emotions.  We urge you to visit the National Suicide & Crisis website for numbers in your local area of professionals who are trained to help people in crisis.Their website is located here: 

http://suicidehotlines.com/national.html

Or call the USA National Suicide Hotlines toll-free 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
 1-800-SUICIDE   (1-800-784-2433)  - or - 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)

We hope you seek out any help you may need at this pivotal time in your life and let us know you're doing ok.  Your fellow ObesityHelp members are worried about you. 

Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,

ObesityHelp

christinamudd
on 2/25/14 1:04 am

I don't know why your friends would be "frustrated with you" for being sick!  I would highly recommend you go back to the ER stat!  It sounds like maybe your knees are super swollen!  Have a social worker speak to you about getting in home nurses and perhaps have it set up before you get home.  I'm so sorry about your pain and frustration.  I truthfully hope you feel better soon!!!!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/25/14 3:20 am

Your hospital discharge planner should have set you up with a home health agency, unless it is not covered under your plan. Are you still on IV antibiotics? If so, are you seeing an infectious disease doctor? Because certainly the ID doctor's office could refer you to a home health agency as well. Most importantly, you should follow up with your doctor on this. Cellulitis is awful, but I am concerned because you cannot bend either knee.

Take care

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Colleen O.
on 2/25/14 3:39 am
VSG on 04/09/14

I would suggest you call 2-1-1 and speak to a social worker.  You need more help than anyone on these boards can provide for you.  We can offer words of support and encouragement but you need someone to take an active role in getting you the various forms of help that you need right now.  2-1-1, from my understanding (and I have a social worker brother who answers the line as a second job) is staffed with social workers who will listen to you and get an understanding of your issues and then provide some valuable insight into getting the help you need right now.  There are very caring people out there who will help you but you need to reach out to them and comply with their plans for you. 

HW: 387 (12/13)  ConsultW: 383 (12/13)  SW: 321 (4/9/14)  CW: 234.6 (10/19/14)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/25/14 5:47 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Another mental health resource is NAMI, they can help you find someone locally to talk to.  1 (800) 950-NAMI is the phone number.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

A. Kondrlik
on 2/27/14 8:50 am
VSG on 01/24/13

LOok in the phonebook for something on the lines of "Crisis Intervention" there are people there who can help you.  Also maybe you should go into a skilled nursing facility short term till the swelling in your legs can be controlled,  you could call the discharge planner or social worker  from the hospital you were just discharged from and tell them you need skilled nursing, either in a  skilled nursing facility or home health care.  Or your family doctor should also be able to help.  Worse comes to worse go to the ER.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?