What are you're favorite protein shakes/drinks?

shorty71
on 2/23/14 12:11 pm - CT
VSG on 04/01/14 with

Looking for recommendations in what are some of your favorite protein drinks/shakes are.  Looking for the ones with the recommended protein. Where do you get them?  Are there any good ones that I can't get like at walmart? 

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 2/23/14 1:13 pm - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Take a look at these search results. Lots of opinions! :)

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

(deactivated member)
on 2/23/14 1:28 pm

Hey Shorty.. Costco carries protein drinks for a reasonable price.  You might want to also check out Isopure Natural non flavored, I was able to get it at Amazon on subscribe and save with 15 to  20% off.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/23/14 1:51 pm - OH

People's taste in protein powders varies widely!  Ten people may tell you they just love something and you will find that you hate the taste, texture, or smell.  The best thing to do is to get lots of samples (and keep in mind that what you like before surgery (I didn't see a date on your post) may make you gag after surgery, so whatever you do, don't buy a large tub of ANYTHING ahead of time.

many of the manufacturers have sample packs you can buy (Unjury, Syntrax, Chike, Jay Robb, tec.) or you can go to www.vitalady.com and buy samples of protein powders for which the manufacturer doesn't offer samples.

Be sure to try the powders that create a milkshake type drink, the fruity flavors that create a kind of thicker Crystal Light type drink, and some of the RTD (ready to drink) protein drinks (although they are more expensive).  The RTDs also come in milkshake types (e.g., Muscle Milk Light, or the "Oh Yeah!" Brand) or protein waters (Cytomax or Isopure).  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Eggface
on 2/23/14 1:52 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Protein is one of those individual tastes vary types of things... some some people have suggested to me over the years I thought eeeek. Lots of companies over travel packets or single servings. I'd order a few of those before committing to a huge tub of something.

Look for whey isolate, low carb, low sugars. Some make taste really yummy but you might as well be drinking Nestles Quik ;) for sugar content.

Hope you find a favorite without too much trouble.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Tracy D.
on 2/23/14 10:22 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

As Michelle said, make sure to look for a product that is 100% whey protein isolate.  That's key because it's the most easily absorbed by our bodies and is a higher quality than the blends on the market.  Since it will be your primary source of nutrition at first you need to make it the best!  Be careful of what you buy and read labels.  Don't get sucked in my "protein shots" that tend to be mostly collagen, which is a cheap source of protein that are bodies can't absorb well.  

I use Unjury and they offer sample packs on their website:  unjury. com.   My hubby likes the Syntrax Nectars and they have a sample package you can order off various websites (just Google it).  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Deborah B.
on 2/23/14 10:28 pm

You just blew my mind. I was actually thinking "I wonder what protein shakes are favored."
I decided to take a look at the posts and yours was the first one. :D 

I've only had Designer Whey and CVS brand.
CVS had two sample sized in vanilla and chocolate for $1.99 each. 
I tried CVS vanilla and DW french vanilla both taste good to me.

PetHairMagnet
on 2/24/14 5:09 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 23, 2014 at 8:11 PM Pacific Time, shorty71 wrote:

Looking for recommendations in what are some of your favorite protein drinks/shakes are.  Looking for the ones with the recommended protein. Where do you get them?  Are there any good ones that I can't get like at walmart? 

You have lots of great advice here. A few things I'll add:

1) Buy two of whatever you buy OR split it in half. What you do or do not like once you may or may not like again. Having a second go at it is wise.

2) If you don't like something with a certain base, try another. There are those I like with plain water, some with unsweetened tea, others with black coffee and still more with almond or flax milk. If I were to try a coffee one with water or vice versa, likely I'd have a VERY different opinion. And don't forget you can mix them in plain yogurt or with jello for a 'knox blox' result.

3) Temperatures can make a difference. I like two of them hot and only hot. I like a few cold and only cold. The rest I can do hot or cold depending on my mood.

4) Make sure you are VERY CLEAR on the package of your sample. Is it ONE sample in that baggie or two? Is it 6 grams of protein or 24? Some are harder to understand than others, especially if they are repacked by someone vs. being factory packed by the manufacturer.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/24/14 5:21 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

http://www.amazon.com/Bariatric-Foodie-Perfect-Protein-Shake s/dp/1480101095

This book was very helpful to me during my two weeks of liquids after surgery.  Now I'm too lazy to mix them and drink the Premier Protein shakes from Costco straight out of the box.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active