Enough calories?

Calaska
on 2/23/14 3:16 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

I've been reading the boards for quite awhile now, and am gathering quite a bit of info on WLS. I'm convinced that it is the answer for me, and that I am willing and able to do what it takes to succeed. I do have one question that keeps coming back to me. What is it like to like on 800-1000 calories per day. Do you have enough energy? Even enough for vigorous workouts at the gym? I know the answer is "yes", but I don't understand how it works. Now, at 280 lbs, if I don't eat enough before a workout, I feel like I'm going to pass out after my workout!

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

poet_kelly
on 2/23/14 7:11 pm - OH

Well, I don't live on 800 to 1000 calories a day.  I live on 1500 to 1600 calories a day.  Now, when I was losing weight rapidly, during the first year, yeah, then I lived on 800 to 1000 calories a day, but that was a temporary thing.

I'm guessing if you feel like you're going to pass out after a workout, it might be due to eating the wrong things or simply due to being so overweight that you're short of breath and stuff.  A registered dietician and a good personal trainer can probably help you with that.  You certainly do need nutrition to fuel your workout but you also have plenty of fat to burn for energy at 280 lbs.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Calaska
on 2/24/14 3:38 am - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I didn't know that low of a calorie intake was temporary. It makes a lot more sense now!

shoutjoy
on 2/23/14 7:43 pm - Culpeper, VA

Hi,

I think a lot of new pre-ops think, in their minds, that this is just another diet.  WLS restricts the intake of calories and absorption of calories.  So, with that in mind, the focus should be learning to make healthy choices, learning about nutrition, portion control and exchanging bad habits for good habits.  When you decide on which procedure you want, also look into a bariatric nutritionist who can help you with the above.  Focusing on calories is the dieters way to weight loss.  In other words, this is a whole body and mind life style change.  With the right support systems in place, you will do well.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Calaska
on 2/24/14 3:40 am - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

Thank you, good advise.  I am beginning the changes that I can start to do now. 

White Dove
on 2/23/14 8:42 pm - Warren, OH

It feels great.  Much better than being bogged down with overweight and overeating. My body felt lighter every day.  I felt strong and full of energy.  I lost all of my hunger feelings after surgery.  That hunger has never come back.  When I do eat, it is a very small amount and I am quite full.

My normal days are about 1400 calories a day.  But if I want to drop some pounds now, I can easily go to 800 calories.  For me, on 800 calories I can lose a pound a week.  

I always eat something before a workout and make sure I have plenty of water.  Before surgery I was exhausted and pouring sweat after 30 minutes at Curves.  Now I feel fine after an hour workout with the weight machines at the gym.

Calaska
on 2/24/14 3:42 am - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

Thanks for your response.  I feel better knowing that you can work up to 1400 or so to maintain. That sounds reasonable. 

Tracy D.
on 2/23/14 10:18 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

During the weight-loss phase I lived on 800-900 calories a day, and it took me a couple months to work up to that actually.  I found that I had MORE energy than before surgery.  I could easily get up at 5:00 a.m., work out moderately and go all day long.  Yes, I would go to bed around 9:30 but I sleep like a log and feel very refreshed and energized.  

I can't explain to you why it works metabolically or otherwise...but it DOES work!  And it's not forever.  Once you get to your goal weight you will transition into maintenance.  I still want to lose another 5 lbs. but find that I am easily able to maintain my weight with 1500-1600 calories a day as long as I keep the carbs to 100 grams or so per day.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Calaska
on 2/24/14 3:45 am - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

I was missing a big part of the picture - calories on maintenance!  That makes a lot more sense to me, and I feel better now. I am so ready to get this going!

PetHairMagnet
on 2/24/14 5:01 am, edited 2/24/14 5:01 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM Pacific Time, Calaska wrote:

I've been reading the boards for quite awhile now, and am gathering quite a bit of info on WLS. I'm convinced that it is the answer for me, and that I am willing and able to do what it takes to succeed. I do have one question that keeps coming back to me. What is it like to like on 800-1000 calories per day. Do you have enough energy? Even enough for vigorous workouts at the gym? I know the answer is "yes", but I don't understand how it works. Now, at 280 lbs, if I don't eat enough before a workout, I feel like I'm going to pass out after my workout!

I was running 5Ks 3 and 4 times a week on 600 calories a day. 

You are feeling like you will pass out because you are in a high volume food situation now. You will have to relearn habits and train your brain that food is fuel. I now average close to 700 calories a day, though I DID hit 800 recently and had a little celebration, but mostly at 700, I have one meal left today and have had less than 400 calories, so I will likely not even get to 700 today. Maybe, but doubtful. And now I run 8 miles at a time preparing for a half marathon.

Now when I have met my goal and held that weight for 60 days I will move into a 'maintenance' level of calories which, for me, will be 1600 a day. That is 160 lbs x 10 to hold my weight. I am going to have to work hard to get to that number, still be protein dense and limit my carbs as I am not at all there yet. But I am working very hard to get to 800. But all in all, because I am eating protein dense foods, being VERY well hydrated and taking my vitamins in a very regimented fashion, I feel a TON of energy and very healthy. In fact, I have more energy now than I can literally EVER recall having. Because I am not filling my body with the crap I was before. I ate what I considered a healthful diet because it was organic, humane, locally sourced and yada yada. But the bottom line was...it was KILLING ME and now, so much less and SO much better am I!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active