Empty support

sjluvsu44
on 2/23/14 5:20 pm - Grand Rapids, MI
DS on 03/06/14

I am new to WLS and I am scheduled for surgery a week from tomorrow (March 4th 2014). I was wondering how you managed to keep your sanity during the two weeks prior and how  you concurred your nerves. Being only 22 I have shared my new chapter that I will be starting with some of my close friends. They keep saying how supportive they are, yet tonight during game night (at my own apartment) they ordered pizza and brought over alcohol. I normally am a level headed person, but I freaked out and ended up throwing their pizza, alcohol, and them out. I was wondering if it is ALWAYS going to be this hard and challenging and constantly having the feeling that you are in this alone. It is hard enough being on the products these two weeks, but I'm more nervous than hungry. I have read a couple other posts and have seen that the nerves are normal, but not so much how to over come them. My heart is in this surgery 100%, but I'm constantly fighting with my brain on it. 

Does it ever mentally get easier? 

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/14 12:18 am
elisenacole_1rules
on 2/24/14 12:44 am

I just had surgery the 19th,last Wednesday, and all I can say is that for me, I would have told them no before the pizza and alcohol arrived. its your journey, not theirs, and they will have struggles that they may tell you about in life as well, but you wont truly ever be IN THEIR SHOES, and all you can do is your best to listen and offer advice if its wanted. that being said, I wasn't nervous until the day before surgery, and im not sure why I was nervous even then. everything went fine, and ive already lost 18 pounds since Thursday! its crazy! last night my fiancé was having dinner in another room and the sound of the fork scraping the plate kinda aggravated me! we are human, but I think the positives will far outweigh any negatives you are feeling. :-) i'll bet you'll do fine!

elise

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/14 1:42 am

:) making mental note.. give family plastic forks

sjluvsu44
on 2/25/14 7:33 pm - Grand Rapids, MI
DS on 03/06/14

I was just thinking the same thing. 

mustlovepoodles
on 2/24/14 1:17 am
VSG on 12/31/13

Well, that was really insensitive of them!  Pizza and alcohol, knowing that you are on a strict diet plan preparing for surgery.  I don't blame you for asking them to leave.  

In the future, you will learn to either speak up or go with the flow. People are going to eat stuff you can't eat and there will be lots of opportunities to see and smell junk food.  It's all your mindset, honestly. Right now it's harder because you *could* go off plan and it wouldn't be too big a deal. After surgery, in the initial weeks you may be tempted but if you give in I can pretty much guarantee you will regret it. 

As for the nerves, meh...it's pretty normal. Just keep your eyes on the prize.  Start counting down to your new life. You know your health is going to improve and your body is going to respond quickly, so for now it's mind over matter. As Nike says, Just Do It.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

MsBatt
on 2/24/14 1:48 am
H.A.L.A B.
on 2/24/14 2:58 am

sorry babe.. people will eat what they eat... Yesterday I bought my friends their coffee (white chocolate mocha, cappuccino) and I had my plain americana... and I bought them a cheesecake brownie to share.. they ate that ..and I had my coffee + my protein cookies... 

You learn to have what you can and ignore the rest.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

pghgirl
on 2/24/14 3:09 am

I can relate to your nerves, I am only 19 years old and I'm having to have Bypass. Nobody at our ages should be having a weight loss surgery but they do and we do. You have to do what is best for you. As far as your friends go, I do think that was a little insensitive of them, especially knowing what your going through but also like one person said, we can't expect other people to completely change their worlds to match ours. Maybe next time ask them if you guys could have healthier options. My heart is in this surgery too but like you, I'm fighting my brain so hard over this. But, I know this is something I have to do or I'm not going to continue much longer like this. I find the closer you get to surgery, the more your nerves act up. Just keep reminding yourself why you are doing this surgery and how much better you are going to look and feel after this is all said and done. You will be on the other side of this surgery before you know it, just keep your faith and head up! You can do this! :)

Scribbler
on 2/24/14 3:51 am

Maybe this behavior from your friends could have been out of habit? If pizza and alcohol is a bit of a ritual for you guys, maybe they just sorta thought they could still do it. Maybe, to them, they felt the need to have a "food funeral" with you. Maybe they're in denial about how your eating habits need to change. It's kind of like how we, the patients, have to re-train our brains to NOT get two sausage biscuits and a large iced coffee on the way in to work, or whatever. Your friends aren't obligated to change their habits. So... you just have to decide on what terms are you guys going to hang out, and set boundaries that everyone can live with.

Most Active