Shrinking Liver

Newstart2014
on 2/24/14 8:15 pm - NC

Hello All!   I'm waiting on insurance to approve my RNY.  I'm not required by insurance or my doctor to be on a diet of any kind prior to surgery.  Once I've been given the go ahead by my insurance co., then I will be on a 10 day liquid diet. 

On my own I've been drinking protein shakes for breakfast and lunch then "normal" food for dinner. I've only drank water since January 1st, 2014. 

Here's my question?  Can my liver be starting to shrink or do you have to be on a 100% liquid diet for the liver to start shrinkig?

Vivian Prouty
on 2/24/14 9:07 pm - Fort Worth, TX

I would assume if your losing any weight that your liver could very well already be shrinking.    Be sure to follow your surgeon's directions when you do start your 10 day liquid diet before your RNY.   Congrats to you.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

MsBatt
on 2/25/14 12:19 am

Here's the truth about shrinking your liver: it takes MONTHS to actually reduce the size of your liver significantly. The so-called 'liver shrinking diet' you see so many people talking about on here does NOT actually do that. What it does do is reduce the glycogen stores in the liver, making it less slippery and easier for the surgeon to manipulate.

There is NO special virtue in a liquid diet. NONE. What *does* work is a high-protein, low-carb, sensible-calorie diet of real food, and you can start that right now. You need to build up your protein stores, because these will help you heal post-op; reducing your carb intake will reduce the glycogen stores.

You also need to get some baseline vitamin and mineral levels done, and if you have ANY low levels you need to start working on getting them into the normal range RIGHT NOW. Post-op, one of your biggest challenges will be maintaining good vitamin and mineral levels. How much of a challenge depends in part on which form of WLS you have, but ALL of them can lead to deficiencies. Yes, even the Sleeve---not because it causes any malabsorption, but because you'll simply not be eating much food.

Amber Anderson
on 2/25/14 9:39 am - Loveland, CO

From the research i've done I have found out that most of the time you need to follow the 100% liquid diet and meal replacement to shrink your liver. I would go check out the book "

Outpatient Weight-Loss Surgery: Safe and Successful Weight Loss with Modern Bariatric Surgery"

It is by Author and Surgeon Kent Sasse.

this book is EXTREMELY helpful (even though RNY isnt outpatient.)

Check out my blog- Beauty and the Bypass (I am sharing my weight loss journey for all to see)

318 pounds "Even miracles take a little time"- Cinderella

Most Active