Revision Surgery

lelesmith
on 2/27/14 11:04 am - Corpus Christi, TX

Hello out there....just curious but has anyone out there had any type of revision surgery after their initial one?  If so, was it for medical reasons like a leaky pouch for instance or more about a stretched out pouch and weight regain? If so, what was your initial surgery and what was your revision?  Did your insurance cover it or was it out of pocket?   I have been researching online about criteria for a revision and was just curious what anyone on this forum may have to offer.

Thanks for your input!

Kate -True Brit
on 2/27/14 5:29 pm - UK

If you go to Forums at the top, then Surgery, you will find the Revisions board. People will probably answer you on here as well but there are lots of threads over there. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Ashley in Belgium
on 2/28/14 1:22 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I had a fully covered revision from lap band to RNY last August. Complications from band necessitated it's removal and regain, pre-diabetes and sleep apnea qualified me for revision though where I live once you've originally qualified for WLS you are always covered for any and all procedures relating to obesity, even if you are no longer obese :)

Good luck! 

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

MsBatt
on 2/28/14 6:48 am

A 'leaky pouch' would be life-threatening. Pretty much all leaks occur in the first few days or weeks after surgery.

What sort of revision you need would depend on why you've regained or have failed to lose. Have you discussed this with your surgeon? The first step would be to 'scope you and see if your pouch or stoma has stretched. Do you journal your food? If not, start---it's easy from extra calories to sneak in, and remember, with your RNY you're probably not still malabsorbing many of the calories you eat.

Most Active