I'm scared- can't stop vomiting

LaurenVanessa
on 2/28/14 4:32 am

I am praying that someone has experienced this and can help

I had gastric bypass 4 weeks ago and I've been struggling.  I was fine with my liquid and mushy diet then the nutritionist had me switch over to solid proteins last weekend and I haven't been able to keep anything down.  I'm eating very little very slow but by the second bite of whatever it is I need to throw up.  I switched back to mushy foods because of the troubles and now by my first lick of applesauce I need to throw up.  Even sips of water at times. And once I throw up I have that feeling is in my throat for hours and any liquid that accumulates in my throat gives me the need to throw up again- it's a never ending cycle. 

We've addressed post nasal drip when I feared that could be the cause of my nausea and vomiting, and additionally the surgeon gave me Zofran but now I even throw up after taking that.  The surgeon keeps telling me that I'm dehydrated but I'm certain that's not the issue.  I don't know what to do but I'm scared and I'm at wits end. 

Lauren

White Dove
on 2/28/14 4:49 am - Warren, OH

Has the surgeon checked you for a stricture?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/28/14 5:08 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Does your surgeon know that the Zofran isn't helping? Have you told him/her that you disagree with the diagnosis of dehydration? Have you made it explicitly clear that your symptoms clear and that you are scared for your health?

People here can offer emotional support, but at the end of the day, if your health is in danger, you need a doctor. Call your surgeon's office ASAP, especially since it's a Friday.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Zee Starrlite
on 2/28/14 5:17 am

You certainly need to be working with your surgeon on this to rule out any medical a surgical issues.  I had no issues but progressed my diet a couple of weeks slower just because I was afraid to eat.  Go back to what was working after ruling out strictures etc.  Your surgery has to be sound.  Force from vomiting could not possibly be good so early out and you need nutrition.  I used protein shakes and plain Greek yogurt like Chobani & Fage - protein stocked!

Best

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

hollykim
on 2/28/14 6:18 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

if your surgeon insists it is dehydration,which is a very real. Possibility,since dehydration often causes terrible nausea,then ask him to send you to the er for IV fluid. 

If you are throwing up,this much you will never get over the dehydration hump without IV fluids. 

Gl