New to forum

ShadowWolf3
on 4/16/14 3:34 am - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

I'm just starting my venture on WLS. I've already attended the seminar and one medically supervised diet session.  I have to do that for 6 months but we are hoping my previous visits with a nutritionist will count.  

I've been reading the posts here and you all have provided lots of info.  I don't have a surgery date yet.   Does anyone have Paramount Advantage Medicaid insurance?  Seems one procedure needed for the surgery may not be covered and I wanted to see if anyone had any problems with them.

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

HW:450, Consult W:371, SW:353

MsBatt
on 4/16/14 3:58 am

Your profile says you're planning on having the RNY/gastric bypass. I urge you to also research the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, especially for those of us with a BMI greater than 50.

ShadowWolf3
on 4/16/14 4:06 am, edited 4/16/14 4:06 am - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

I haven't met with the surgeon yet but at the meeting they only mentioned the sleeve,RNY and lapband so not sure if it is available until I talk to her.

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

pebtash
on 4/16/14 10:30 am
VSG on 11/25/14

What did they do at the medically supervised diet? I will be starting mine sometime in May after my first appointment. Was wondering what to expect.

ShadowWolf3
on 4/16/14 2:33 pm - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

Not sure if all are the same but at my first one they weigh you at beginning of meeting.  Then they talked about the surgery types and your diet.  We have to exercise at least 10 minutes a day they told us.  At least walking.  Told us how two weeks before surgery I will be on liquid diet.  Plus we have a list of 15 different things that have to be done before surgery.

pebtash
on 4/16/14 10:40 pm
VSG on 11/25/14

Thank you for the information

ShadowWolf3
on 4/17/14 12:20 am - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

We do get weighed at beginning of every meeting so be prepared for that.

AnneGG
on 4/16/14 10:22 pm, edited 4/16/14 10:24 pm

The following might be helpful for you in starting out your research:

There is no perfect weight loss surgery, they all have varying benefits and costs as well as risk factors for complications. They also have varying levels of body invasiveness from the lapband which is the least invasive but has a high rate of complications ranging through to the DS, which is the most invasive in terms of innards rearranging, requires the highest skill levels from the surgeon, and carries the highest risk factors for complications. There are also different levels of frequency performed for the surgeries, with the RNY still performed the most frequently, the sleeve catching up, the lapband losing popularity, and the DS performed the least frequently by a wide margin.

A link with pros and cons of weight loss surgery: http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/is-weight-loss-surgery-right -for-you 

A useful link for comparison of types of surgery: http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html 

All of the surgeries require a high level of personal responsibility with lifelong major lifestyle and ha*****ange re: diet and exercise and vitamins and minerals. They aren't a magic fix. They don't operate on our brains or emotions or cravings. Eating around them with weight regain is possible for all of them if habits aren't changed no matter what kind of surgery a person goes for, both for the first year or so, and especially when a person hits maintenance and you are pretty much on your own again.

It's great to ask here regarding people's experience and opinions, but they are only that- personal, amateur, stranger on the internet experiences and opinions shared with you, another stranger on the internet. We can't know your situation and we aren't professionals.

Also people here will often tend to strongly promote the kind of surgery they themselves have had, which may not fit you and your particular requirements.

Please make your choice of weight loss surgery that will work best for you in consultation with your Bariatric surgeon because he/she will know your medical history and unique needs based on considerations of weight, comorbidities, reliability and compliance with lifestyle modifications and follow-up.

Oh, and research a lot, here- look under the "MORE" tab on the top of the page and check out the different forums, internet, and info sessions with Bariatric surgeons.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

ShadowWolf3
on 4/17/14 12:28 am - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

Thank you!  I technically was supposed to have the surgery done 14yrs ago but surgeon skipped town on me and my work refused to allow to be covered by insurance anymore after 3 people at had it done.  So I know all the risks and changes but do need the refresher.

My surgeon doesn't list the DS on the list as one she does but I will find out more when I see her.  I'm leaning more towards the sleeve right now but I want her opinion.

Terri M.
on 4/17/14 2:09 pm - Evansville, IN

If she doesn't list it as an option she probably doesn't do it, there only 50-75 surgeons in the world that do it. If you are interested I found a site called DSfacts.com there is so much information there, including a list of  "recommended" surgeons.  Apparently they have to do like 100 successful DS surgeries to be on the list. It helped me make my decision. Good luck on your journey

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1436 views