Need an NSV and an opportunity to help others??

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/17/14 2:11 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Getting a BMI below 40 is a cool thing, but there's one more reason to party-- you're eligible to register as a bone marrow donor!

There are a handful of other health requirements, but weight is a big one. Once your BMI is low enough, you can order a cheek swab kit, stick it back in the mail, and be put on a list of potential donors. Should you ever prove to be a match to someone who needs a transplant, you can get further testing and possibly help save a life through a short and non-scary medical procedure. How cool is that??

I signed up for the registry in college, before I hit a BMI of 40, because my roommate's dad died of leukemia, and was reminded of the program when I got a newsletter from the registry today. Being able to sign up is a great NSV, and it might just help somebody *****ally needs it! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

sleevemama
on 4/17/14 2:49 am
VSG on 04/30/13

This is awesome! I always wanted to do this and went and was told because I was over 200 lbs. I couldn't. I was so upset. I thought because of the surgery I still wouldn't qualify. Thank you for the information!

HW:266 SW:229 GW:140 CW:140  Maintenance 11/6/13

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/14 4:07 am, edited 4/17/14 4:14 am

My sons first major girl crush  passed away the year they graduated.She died or a rare leukemia that usually affects older adults.I was not able to donate because of my weight.

My son was talking about that he has his donor card in his wallet.I am not sure how we got on the subject but he seemed proud that he could help someone.I am really proud that he would still want to donate with his friend passing away.

Thank you for posting this.I think it is one of the best NSV for someone to be able to help someone.I am going to register today.

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/14 4:43 am

I went on to register and my BMI is 36.I was over 50 when I started. This is a good dead to do.And totally a great NSV.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/17/14 4:46 am
RNY on 08/05/19

That is awesome twice over!! :-D

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/14 5:29 am

You totally are a great asset to this website.  You always are encouraging and helpful to others.

Cathy W.
on 4/17/14 9:03 am

Your NSV is the best one I've ever heard.  Plus, it is a NSV that we can do on our own to truly pay it forward.

Cunning_Pam
on 4/17/14 9:30 am
RNY on 12/18/13

That's an excellent reason to get below a 40 BMI! I will put it on my to do list, for sure.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/17/14 9:52 am

Yes! I was just thinking about this the other day. Thank you for posting this.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

SunnyGal14
on 4/17/14 11:22 am
VSG on 08/06/14

Thanks for sharing SK! I will be honest and say I had no idea what the requirements were nor did I think to find out. This is a wonderful cause!

Another reason we love Sparkle Kitty 

Vsg on 8/6/14  5'8" HW 266 SW 243 CW 169 GW 155. 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1416 views