card for restaurants?

Jen Lyn
on 4/19/14 4:45 am
RNY on 11/11/13

I found this card online asking restaurants to allow us to eat off the kids or senior menu. Has anyone ever used one? I am going to ask my surgeon's office if they have any or I may print out and laminate my own.

Member Services
on 4/19/14 5:05 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Jen Lyn,

Here is a link to one we have here on OH for our members.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/RestaurantCard.html

Some restaurants accept them and some don't.  Good luck  

poet_kelly
on 4/19/14 5:14 am - OH

I've never used one.  If I want to order off the kids or senior menu, I just ask if I can.  Many places allow it if you ask.  I'm not sure how many would be more likely to allow it just because you have some card that asks in writing instead of the customer asking verbally. 

Most of the time the kids menu doesn't have any healthy options anyway, but the senior menu is often just smaller portions of the regular fare.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dragonlove
on 4/19/14 12:15 pm, edited 4/19/14 12:15 pm
RNY on 11/20/13

I've found more and more places are offering grilled items and fruit on the kids menus.

Edited to say that yes, I know a lot of people don't eat fruit, but ordering it is easier than explaining why you don't want the fries or dessert that comes with it. :)

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

SunnyGal14
on 4/19/14 6:28 am
VSG on 08/06/14

My mom got one from her surgeons office and used it quite a bit.  I would just ask your doctor.  You may not even need it like Kelly said, but it's good to have just in case. 

Vsg on 8/6/14  5'8" HW 266 SW 243 CW 169 GW 155. 

Bette B.
on 4/19/14 7:47 am

I had one but don't think I ever used it. Most places have pretty strict "rules" about senior or kid's menu deals and won't waver. Most of the kid's menu is a huge pile of crappy, fatty food anyway.

I usually order something small, like an appetizer, or order something that can be reheated, ask for a take-out container and put half my meal in it.

I will say that the Mexican place called "On the Border" has always been very receptive to allowing me to order from the kid's menu, so I can have ONE taco and a small amount of beans instead of a huge plateful.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

VSG on 06/12/13

Yep, what she said. I've got one but haven't ever used it. Too many other workarounds!

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

MickeyDee
on 4/19/14 9:15 am

i prefer to keep my medical history private;  I just order an appetizer or some soup, or even what fits my needs, and either get a to-go box or just leave the remains.  Just because it's on your plate doesn't mean you have to eat it.  (And that was a real breakthrough!!)

Gwen M.
on 4/19/14 10:30 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I can't imagine giving a total stranger my health information on a card like that!  I also don't understand the point of them?  Is it to save money?  

I'd rather order what I want (kid's meals are often unhealthy) and take home what I don't eat for a future meal.  Appetizer menus seem to have a number of WLS-friendly foods!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

dragonlove
on 4/19/14 1:06 pm
RNY on 11/20/13

I have a card and I have used it several times.  There are times when friends / family are set on going to a big buffet restaurant. At those times, I pull out my trusty card. Almost all of these places will give you senior or child prices for your meal.  Some do not, and some isn't hardly worth it when seniors are only 0.80 less.

I haven't ever had anyone need the card in order for me to order off the kids menu.  I have found several of places with good kids meal choices.  Chick-fil-a has just started a grilled nugget meal. Captain D's offers a grilled fish. 

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1356 views