Hydration: How Do You Do It?

Deborah B.
on 4/23/14 6:39 am

How do you stay hydrated? It's so difficult. Is there any good, hydrating drinks for WLS patients? 

I have been having a really hard time getting hydrated. Muscle cramps, mostly feet and back, confusion and wrinkled up finger tips like I've been swimming or bathing for a while are some of my symptoms. I'm drinking water and just tried chicken soup hoping the salt will help me retain some fluids. I very rarely drink a glass of wine and one to two cups of coffee in the morning. This has been happening over and over for months now. 

Ladytazz
on 4/23/14 8:48 am

How much fluids are you getting in a day?  I am for at least 100 oz a day.  One thing to remember is that even though you may not feel that thirsty right now, the more you drink the thirstier you get.  Don't ask me how that works but on days when I am not getting in enough fluids I don't feel thirsty but as soon as I drink a bottle of water I am thirsty for more.

My tricks are to keep water with me everywhere.  I keep a case of water in my car, a bottle or two in my purse and my water bottle goes with me everywhere.  I don't care for plain water so I keep drink mix sticks with me all the time.  My rules for myself is that I have to drink at least 16 oz before I eat.  In the morning I usually start with a protein coffee.  I know they say not to count caffeinated drinks in your fluid count but I make sure I get in the 100 oz excluding coffee.  

After breakfast I have to drink at least two 16 oz bottles of water or a full water bottle.  Most days I get in 3 bottles or 48 oz.  After lunch I wait at least 30 minutes and then go for another 32 oz minimum before dinner.  After dinner I usually have another 32 oz.  I try to get it all in before 7 or so so I can sleep without too many bathroom trips.  That is the only downside.  I spend a lot of time in the restroom.  I had heard that after a while your body gets used to having so much fluid and compensates with fewer bathroom runs but that hasn't been the case for me.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Valerie G.
on 4/23/14 10:32 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Everything wet and decaffeinated counts.  I carried a 64oz jug with me all of the time, just sipping before I did anything, after I did it, and whenever I thought of it.  It was my goal, and a hard one.   A few months down the road I was emptying that jug before lunch and enjoying a second one for the afternoon.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cunning_Pam
on 4/23/14 9:04 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I have water glasses in just about every room of my house. Every time I enter a room I drink, every time I leave, and while I'm in there. I also have trained myself to drink right after I go to the bathroom, while my husband is eating dinner, and while I'm working at my computer. Some people get apps for their mobile devices that help remind them to drink and then track it for them.

There's nothing better for hydration than water. The trick is to learn to enjoy drinking it, and it just has to become a habit over time.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Deborah B.
on 4/23/14 9:18 am

Wow you both have good plans, thank you. 

I drink water and some days do better than others. Today I've had 64oz. Not enough? 
Is water enough? Do you drink low or no sugar sports drinks or tha****er with the electrolytes in it?

dragonlove
on 4/23/14 9:36 am
RNY on 11/20/13

I think 64 ounces is a general minimum.  From your description, I don't think it is enough for you. It also depends on how active you are - how much you sweat out.

What did your last labs say?  Was anything borderline low?  I do 4-5 bottles of water minimum each day and that seems to be working for me. I don't do any sports drinks or electrolytes added in.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Cunning_Pam
on 4/23/14 9:58 am
RNY on 12/18/13

64 is a minimum, IMO. I shoot for 80 to 100 ounces daily. If you're having the symptoms you describe, you may want to try upping the amount you drink to see if it helps.

You generally don't need sports drinks unless you're a high-performance athlete. Plain water is all you need. I drink plain water only except for almond milk in my protein shakes.

I think the best advice abou****er is to develop a "water habit". It takes a while, but as your body adapts to your new hydration levels it will start telling you when to drink so that you keep your hydration up.

Good luck!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/23/14 11:33 am

how much a person needs will really vary - are you in a dry or humid place? are you working out? and so on!

64 is a general minimum 

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/23/14 11:15 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

I have in my office lots of sugar free add ins. I try to do every other one plain water. I had to scale back because i was drinking too much water. I have three water bottles in my office. One for my tea one for my other drink mixes and one for plain water. I just sip all day long.

lmsypherd
on 4/23/14 10:24 am

Isopure, good protein and it is a clear liquid.  I don't have a problem with water anymore, but I could not wait to gulp it again!!!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1429 views