Gastric bypass

childofGod3_16
on 4/23/14 7:27 pm - United Kingdom

Hi im new here I have asked my dr about Gastric bypass surgery but i dont think hes keen to recomend  me. I qualify I know  and am aware of all the pros and cons There is Angina history in my family Would this be a barrier to  getting on the list? I was reccomended by a friend to this group from  john

Mary Gee
on 4/24/14 1:40 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I'd ask him specifically what his reservations are.  And tell him you'd like a referral to consult with a bariatric surgeon.  The surgeon would be the best one to weigh any risks - he wants patients to have successful outcomes and is not going to put you in danger.  Generally speaking, the surgeon's put you through a barrage of tests and evaluations to be sure you're a good candidate for surgery.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/24/14 1:44 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Post question on rny forum for more answers by people who have had this surgery & go to the little magnify glass in the top rt hand corner & type in the word angina & rny to see past posts on your question. Good luck!

Grim_Traveller
on 4/24/14 5:54 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Since you are in the UK, most of us are unfamiliar with your system for getting surgery. There is a UK board on here, but it gets almost no traffic. There are a couple of regulars I will try to point your way that can probably help.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Kate -True Brit
on 4/24/14 6:44 am - UK

Hi, Grim pointed your post out to me. I am banded not bypassed but maybe I can offer some thoughts.

Are you hoping to go the NHS route? If so, you will need to have a BMI of at least 45 in most PCP areas, and also at least one major co-morbidity. If you are going privately you won't need either of those things.

i can't comment on the family history of angina but if you don't have it personally, I would have thought it would not be an issue. But that is down to your surgeon and anaesthetist. 

If your GP is reluctant, push! If you are morbidly obese and have health issues, he should refer you to your local NHS Bariatric Unit. It is that unit which decides whether surgery is appropriate. He doesn't recommend you for surgery, he refers you to the clinic.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

AnneGG
on 4/28/14 9:30 am

Does your insurance allow you to consult a doctor without a referral? If so, you might want to go to a Bariatric surgeon on your own to get his/her opinion.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1514 views